Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,893   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Battery For Canon F1

Ok, I am sick of trying to find info on the net; it all seems to be unsubstantiated opinion or marketing bull. So here is my question...

I want to buy a Canon F1 to replace my problematic AE-1, but it seems that the mercury batteries that run the old F1s are not longer made due to environmental reasons. I could buy the New F1 which takes an alkaline battery, but they are much more expensive and don’t offer anything that I need or could justify paying for. The problem is that the batteries (“Wein Air Cell”) that are supposed to replace the mercury ones apparently are not up to snuff and die in a month or two. I don’t feel like buying batteries ever month at $5.00 a pop. I know that there has to be other photographers out there who’ve had this problem, seeing as this effects just about every camera made before the 80’s. So let me know what you have gone through. It might just make more sense to buy the New F1.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or have one of the apug members who live in country's that still allow the sale of mercury batteries to buy you some and ship them over here
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Or have one of the apug members who live in country's that still allow the sale of mercury batteries to buy you some and ship them over here
    I went over that, but I understand and agree with the reasons for outlawing them, so I decided not to go that route. Blame it on my environmental consciousness, damn you conscience.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One option is to have the camera modified to take alkaline cells. If you look around on the net, there are also instructions on making adapters for alkaline cells and it is possible to purchase such adapters for around $30 each.

When I had an EF, I just used the Weincell zinc-air cells and kept spares on hand to replace them. It's not that they are defective in some way, but it's in the nature of a zinc-air cell to oxidize with exposure to air, so they don't last as long as other batteries. They come with a plastic cover that is removed to enable their use, and I've heard of people putting this cover back on the battery between uses to extend battery life, but I never bothered. The cheapest source I found for them was B&H.

I highly recommend the New F-1. The focusing screens are brighter than the old ones, the mirror damping is much better, and for me spot metering is a major attraction. I'd save up for one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks David. I think I am going to save my pennies. I just needed some one to back me up on that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have purchased batteries for one of my Minolta rangefinders from this website and have had very good luck with them:

http://www.photobattery.com/

The guy that owns this site supplies batteries for just about anything you can think of.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.criscam.com They sell the right battery adapter to solve the problem. Also: www.rolleicamera.com/sales-batt-adapt.htm
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    www.criscam.com They sell the right battery adapter to solve the problem. Also: www.rolleicamera.com/sales-batt-adapt.htm
    Has anyone tried this solution???

If it works it might be worth it. It may still be less to buy an F-1 with this
    $30 one time fee than to pitch in for the new F-1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Stephen,
    I bought a battery adapter for the Leica MR meter from Rolleicamera. Works fine.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the info Clogz and David on the adapters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin