Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,379   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F80 or N90s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F80 doesn't meter with non-CPU lenses. The F90X does not support VR. If neither of those apply to your lenses, then both are nice cameras. I have 2x F100 and an F80 and F75. Since I have many VR lenses, it made sense to get bodies that support them fully. All the film bodies are cheap enough that small feature differences do not make a big difference in price and so become a preference decision, not a financial one.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have always chosen the f/n 80 over the n90/s.

I am ALWAYS in manual mode, and I find it inconvenient to only have one wheel, so that I have to do some shift-button to change time or aperture.
    You are making some confusion here: The F90X doesn't need some Shift button. In Manual the Command Dial operates the shutter speeds and the Aperture is operated by the aperture ring on the lens.
    That's why G lenses, who don't have an aperture ring, don't work in A or Manual mode on the F90.

Apart from what was said before, I'm sure my 4 F90X will survive me. It has a core of metal, so it is a bit heavier and sturdier than the F80.

Talking of which if I use a separate flash on the F801, with a SB28 it will remain on the widest setting, whilst the F80 will zoom in and out as the focal length is changed.
    I'm not sure why the F801 does that, but the SB-28 was made for the F5 and F90. I use the older SB-26 and it is perfectly compatible with my F90X. In fact, it was made for them! And yes, the zoom head on the flash does work with my F801.
    Could you check the manual for the SB-28 and its compatibility with the F-801? If they are compatible on that aspect, then I suggest that you look at the F-801 flash contacts. They might need some cleaning. Good luck!

P.S. If you don't have the manual, here it is: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...ghts/SB-28.pdf
    I had a look at it and the SB28 should be compatible with the F-801, even the auto zoom should work. Check your F-801 flash contacts. That happened to me once with a F90.
    Last edited by Ricardo Miranda; 09-19-2012 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get both. with the prices of these two models very reasonable, you could try out the pair and keep the one that agrees with you. I do like the 80 and it's ability to use the VR lenses, but I own the 90s and love it as well. The N75 is great as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used both the N80's and the N90's I have a couple of times each. My preference went to the N90 simply because it was a heavy beast and due to that weight was easier to keep steady. All of my N90's have the sticky issue or the coating has been peeled off and no more sticky problem.

All the above said, I prefer to use the N75 due to it being the last consumer film camera with most of the bells and whistles of the then top model cameras in a very, very light package. And what is really fun is sticking a DX version G lens on it and see what comes out!! All my MF and AF "D" series lenses work perfect on it. Much, much lighter than the N90.....found an N75 that had one roll of film through it after it was purchased by the original owner and put in the closet a couple of years back.

Unless you have purchased an N80 or an N90, consider getting an N75 instead.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have both and use both. the 80 is much lighter and quieter and as mentioned many times can fully use VR lenses. the 90 feels more solidly built, is much heavier and at times the controls feel a little strange. the 80 is designed more like todays digital cameras, having two control wheels. if you are worried about batteries for the 80 you can get the small plastic grip for $15 at KEH and then use 4 AA's. but my two 123 batteries have lasted me more than 25 rolls in the 80 and still show more than 50% full, so while they do cost more they last longer. but the main difference is build. in nice clean weather the 80 is a great camera, but i would not want to expose it to long to heavy wind and dust or very dirty locations. the 90 doesnt worry so much there, but i usually grab my F5 in that case.

but the only thing that matters to me is the end result and to be honest, both are great cameras with great meters. I have a hard time telling the results apart from each other. with that in mind and the almost free cost, get both, try them out and keep one if you must. but I like having both of them as one always has velvia inside and the other tri-x. if you look hard you could get both for $100

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did use the F80 and found it far less then de F801 I had before. Never got used to the F80.
    Fotografen zien veel meer in hun leven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I owned an N80, held an N90s but declined to buy. If I still had my Nikon kit the N80 would be seeing a lot of use. Very nice camera. Can't say anything at all about the N90s, other than it was a semi-pro model, and is several years older older. The N80 was very responsive, light, and very quiet. If you need speed, get an F5. Otherwise, get both, the functional differences between them are marginal at best.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all for your inputs !

At this very moment, I have the F100 and the F80 as auto-focus bodies. I was considering to go for the N90s as well but since the difference is more in terms of ergonomics, I'm gonna wait for a very good price before purchasing it.

Since I also have the FE2 and the FM2n, both in perfect condition, I think the F90s could wait while I am gonna take care of my GAS episode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    You are making some confusion here: The F90X doesn't need some Shift button. In Manual the Command Dial operates the shutter speeds and the Aperture is operated by the aperture ring on the lens.
    That's why G lenses, who don't have an aperture ring, don't work in A or Manual mode on the F90.
    Hello Ricardo,

actually I do not have any manual lenses, by choice.

For the kind of photos that I make, I would rather have instant control of speed, aperture and focus than having to move my hand back and forth between focus ring and aperture ring, or, in case of an AF lens, between the Command dial and some shift dial. Also, with non-manual lenses, I can see in the viewfinder at any instant f stop and speed.

My workflow when taking a photo is the following:

1 compose
    2 focus
    3 set aperture
    4 set speed.

Since I don't have to shift my fingers between focus ring and aperture ring, or command dial and shift, and I see f/stop and speed in the viewfinder (so I don't have to look at at dial on the lens) the 1-2-3-4 routine, on an F80, is a sub-second maneuver.

Since it's so fast, I can either

- shoot real fast
    - go through different creative options (creative blur, creative DOF, zones and so forth) and thereby repeat the 1-2-3-4 routine in seconds.

So for example, for me, a Leica/Ikon/Bessa are not useful. I would be slower, and my decisive moments would be long gone.

Of course all depends on the kind of photos you do. For landscascapes, this is meaningless. For people photography, it makes plenty of sense.

But, then again, if one does not need the speed, why not getting a Nikon FM2, so cheap, and indestructible? An FE ? I think an FE can be had for 20 euros on ebay...

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello!
    I was talking about Manual mode, not Manual lenses!

in case of an AF lens, between the Command dial and some shift dial.
    There is no shift dial or button on the F90. It doesn't need.

and I see f/stop and speed in the viewfinder (so I don't have to look at at dial on the lens)
    The same on the F90 with AF lenses.

For me, it is far easier to use the diaphragm ring on the lenses with one hand an adjust the speed with a dial. My index finger doesn't have to go to the front Sub-Command Dial, as in the F80. It remains over the shutter ready to operate it.
    See the manual for the F90X here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/n...on_f90x_af.htm
    The F90X is also a semi-professional camera with shutter speeds going to 1/8000th and, more importantly to me, the flash syncs up to 1/250th, instead of the 1/125th on a F80.
    But, this is nick-picking! You use whatever you feel more comfortable with! I used for many years a Canon EOS 1N and was never happy with the 2 command dials arrangement. It was a nice thing to change to an older Nikon AF system 8 years ago!
    Have fun and enjoy your decisive moments!
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin