Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,226   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F80 or N90s

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

F80 or N90s

I might ask this question that has been asked for a number of times but I keep wondering which of the two camera does the work best, the F80 or the N90s?

I find the F80 viewfinder rather small and its auto-focus quite slow. Otherwise this camera is quite reliable, light and friendly user. Since I am not too crazy of multi-function cameras, the F80 offers quite a lot for its value.

On the other hand, I have never used an N90s but I keep hearing lots of good things about it.

I took a look at the Nikon compatibility lens chart and both are quite comparable.

So, is there a criteria that makes the two cameras different?

BTW, I am aware of the "N" and the "F" letter.

Thanks in advance for your commentaries!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The N90s is nice, either with AF lenses or manual focus ones. AF and metering is spot on too, at least with the ones I have used. I only have a minor dislike about it, when you rewind it rolls the film inside, including the film leader. Its really minor, but I prefer loading reels with the film leader out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had the N90s, in fact 4.

The F80 I haven't used.

The N90s is a really nice camera.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No contest--get and F90x/N90s. Hugely popular prosumer model that beats the F80 on most counts. Takes cheap AAs, better-built, great with manual lenses, bright HP finder. Dirt cheap now. Great flash metering. Only real glitch was the sticky back problem that still eventually comes back even with replacement parts. Get the MB-10 grip that improves handling and supplies a vertical shutter release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an N80 which is a US version of F80. I liked that body. It's small, light, and has all the features one would normally expect. It also works with all the modern lenses. I believe N90 can use lens with VR but VR does not function. One small benefit of N80 is that screw type shutter release works.

I never used N90. I have F100 now so I sold my N80 (which I regret somewhat...)

Most of my lenses are AF-S type. Auto-focus speed does not seem to vary much if anything between N80 and F100. I haven't tried screw drive type for comparison purpose.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I had N90s (known as F90X outside US) and I remember how nice the viewfinder was. I had no problem using it with Nikon 105mm AI-s. Besides the viewfinder I also really liked the ergonomic form, and coupled with MB-10 vertical grip it was like molded to my hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 2 x F80's and they are both light and responsive. I have no problem with the viewfinder although I wear glasses and use them in preference to my other Nikon a F801s. They are quieter with focussing (No high pitched whine) and the metering is absolutely spot on. The only reason I keep the F801 is the F80 cannot take Infra red film, as a IR led is used to gauge where the film advances to.

The batteries are lithium and not the AA cells which means I always have to keep a couple of sets as spares, but saying that they seem to last a very long time providing that you do not use the flash frequently. Talking of which if I use a separate flash on the F801, with a SB28 it will remain on the widest setting, whilst the F80 will zoom in and out as the focal length is changed.

If I am away on the bike I always take one of the F80's because the lightness makes it easier to deal with when riding

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format

F90X vs. F80

F90x, that is. I have 5,
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi photo gear,

I have always chosen the f/n 80 over the n90/s.

I am ALWAYS in manual mode, and I find it inconvenient to only have one wheel, so that I have to do some shift-button to change time or aperture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin