Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,044   Online: 1194
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mundelein, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    983
    Images
    1
    I've "rebuilt" a few of these with mashed down felt by peeling up one side of the felt on one side and then sticking it back down again a tiny bit closer to the light trap, which effectively puffs it up a bit closer to the one on the other side, and makes a more light tight seal.

    The felt you can buy at most craft stores is not real wool felt, and it's not very light-tight. I found some usable 100% real wool felt online to repair one that was completely torn up at the outside edge, from someone carelessly jamming film into it over the years.

    Sure, brand new ones are cheap, but I hate to throw away something that's perfectly usable other than a little bit of felt!

    Duncan

  2. #12
    pstake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    704
    Images
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Never had a light leak or scratch from the felt. The Lloyd wastes less film leader than the others and is stone simple. OTOH, the ones with frame counters are probably more accurate, especially if you load a number of frames other than what's listed on the table on the Lloyd.

    I've not checked mine with a flashlight, and can't without removing the film since it has a partially loaded roll of Arista Premium 400 (aka Tri-X) in it now. But it hasn't been a problem.

    When I got this Lloyd, it was loaded. The tape on the outside was marked "Tri-X, exp. 11-1963"

    I loaded a couple cartridges from it and ran them through, exposing at 80 iso ... and they came out, believe it or not ... but there was a uniform pattern of fogging basically across the lower half of each roll. I'm thinking the bulk loader might have been the culprit. Might just have been old film. Hard to say.

    For now, I have loaded my brand new Tri-X into the Watson for use, and I'm going to patch up the Lloyd sometime during the next few weeks. I'll try to post before and after photos that are useful to folks who stumble onto this thread in the future.

    Cheers, everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin