Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,839   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lloyd bulk loader felt replacement?

I inherited a Lloyed loader in a box of film gear and was going to use it. Before I put a bulk roll in, however, I did a little test with a flashlight, shining it through the felt light trap from the outside and some of it came through the felt to the inside.

Not too familiar with these loaders so I'm wondering if it's common practice to replace the felt?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never have, but I use mine lightly. But a brand new one is only $25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's about the reaction I would expect. If light wouldn't pass through the felt, how would you expect film to? No, I have never heard of anyone replacing the felt, indeed I don't know of any source of the stuff. As Roger points out, a new one is just $25.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    That's about the reaction I would expect. If light wouldn't pass through the felt, how would you expect film to? No, I have never heard of anyone replacing the felt, indeed I don't know of any source of the stuff. As Roger points out, a new one is just $25.
    This comment seems to suggest that it's silly to think that there's anything wrong with light passing through the felt. Does that mean I need not worry? That my film shouldn't be affected, fogged?

I don't see light passing through unless I directly shine one, and then only at an exact angle.

I appreciate your observation about the film passing through. Very clever.

And that new ones are available for just $25, I clearly apprehend. Thanks for that info, Roger but I have a new Watson loader available, which I'll use before I will buy a new one. I just prefer the Lloyd, and since I have one ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    This comment seems to suggest that it's silly to think that there's anything wrong with light passing through the felt. Does that mean I need not worry? That my film shouldn't be affected, fogged?

I don't see light passing through unless I directly shine one, and then only at an exact angle.
    Using a flashlight is a very, very touch test to pass. When a precision straight-edge is placed on a surface is as little as 0.001" out of flat with a bright light behind it the gap will appear to be huge.

First thing to mention is you won't be loading film outside in bright sunlight. Secondly the felt will have film stuffed through it. Take a piece of unexposed film and put it in the felt jaws. I would wager you will not see any light pass.

It's your call at the end of the day. Words cannot accurately describe the situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Felt or velvet ribbon for a couple of $$ at the local fabric store would do the deed.
    Many old cameras used velvet as light seals.

Iffn ya want a hunk of velvet, PM your address & I'll send a hunk. Contact cement is the appropriate sticky onny stuff.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could rip some out from a few 35mm cassettes as well. Just pop off both ends, and fold flat, and scrape off the felt with a razor carefully. It should lift off as one piece, abit a small piece, but put a few together and it might work.

I personally stick to loaders that dont have felt, like the alden.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Felt or velvet ribbon for a couple of $$ at the local fabric store would do the deed.
    Many old cameras used velvet as light seals.

Iffn ya want a hunk of velvet, PM your address & I'll send a hunk. Contact cement is the appropriate sticky onny stuff.
    Thanks for the offer but I think I have some around here somewhere. And some rubber cement for patching bike tubes. Thanks for the advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post

I appreciate your observation about the film passing through. Very clever.

And that new ones are available for just $25, I clearly apprehend. Thanks for that info, Roger but I have a new Watson loader available, which I'll use before I will buy a new one. I just prefer the Lloyd, and since I have one ...

I think you need not worry. Folks have been using these things for years, light passing through the felt fogging the film isn't a problem I've ever encountered. Just the usual caveat about loading in subdued, not direct, light. Average room light should be just fine, as long as you're not sitting directly under a 100w lamp.

The only complaint of the Lloyd Lloaders that I've ever heard was of grit getting in the felt and scratching your film. If you keep it clean there shouldn't be a problem. (Why do I suddenly get the feeling I'm addressing a Jr High health class?)
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had a light leak or scratch from the felt. The Lloyd wastes less film leader than the others and is stone simple. OTOH, the ones with frame counters are probably more accurate, especially if you load a number of frames other than what's listed on the table on the Lloyd.

I've not checked mine with a flashlight, and can't without removing the film since it has a partially loaded roll of Arista Premium 400 (aka Tri-X) in it now. But it hasn't been a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin