Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,589   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why are the hyperfocals off?

I was getting ready to take out my Kodak Retina 1b and Voightlander Vito II, and was playing with the hyperfocal scales. On both cameras the scales are one stop off. So for f8 the hyperfocal distance should be about 34 feet. But on both cameras this distance is shown for f5.8. Checking an OM 50mm showed the correct hyperfocal, about 34 ft at f8.

Why would both the Kodak and the Voightlander be off by one stop? Was it one stop of insurance to make sure everything was in focus?

Shooter
    35mm
    I would think that either both manufacturers were playing safe or possibly your calculations are out. It is odd that BOTH cameras should be wrong.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    DOF and consequently hyperfocal scales are based on an acceptable circle of confusion. What is acceptable depends on the user, or in this case on the maker of the scale. They simply had different standards how small a CoC had to be to deliver a "sharp" image..
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am pretty sure that through out the hyperfocal distance the circles of confusion are circles of least confusion - that is to say the same size. The concept of acceptable does not apply if all are the same size. I suspect both Kodak and Voigtlander were playing safe.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    The concept of acceptable does not apply if all are the same size.
    It starts with the question "which size is acceptable". There is no standard; some companies used the same values, other companies other values. And your personal acceptance limit is another thing and most probably depends on the size of the print as well.
    DoF calculators often use the most used value or even allow you to set your own CoC.

If you look at say 50mm lenses from different manufacturers you will find a variety of DoF scales.

DoF is mainly subjective. "playing safe" implies an objectivity which is simply not there.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Large Format
    The current circle of confusion diameter used by most camera and lens makers is c = 1/1500 the diagonal of the image rectangle on film. The circle of confusion for the 35mm format is generally taken as 0.029mm.

Using circle of confusion diameter 0.029mm, the hyperfocal distance for a 50mm lens at f/8 on the 35mm format is 10.8 meters = 35.5 feet.

A 50mm lens on the 35mm format at f/5.8 would achieve hyperfocal focus at 34 feet with a circle of confusion diameter of 0.042mm.

In particular, if the maker had chosen a circle of confusion diameter of 0.042mm as “good enough”, then the markings make sense.

On page 17 of the Kodak Retina 1b manual (First version PDF), the last example gives a 22-foot hyperfocal distance at f/8. You have to read it carefully to see that this is the actual focusing distance being used (“The depth of field then extends from 11 feet to infinity.”)

This leads to a circle of confusion diameter of 0.047mm.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_p..._retina_ib.pdf
    Last edited by Ian C; 09-23-2012 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post

On page 17 of the Kodak Retina 1b manual (Part 1 of the PDF), the last example gives a 22-foot hyperfocal distance at f/8. You have to read it carefully to see that this is the actual focusing distance being used (“The depth of field then extends from 11 feet to infinity.”)

This leads to a circle of confusion diameter of 0.047mm.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_p..._retina_ib.pdf
    Yep! Those are the values that the DOF field scale shows. So it is apparent that manufacturers were using a larger CoC back then, compared to the modern "standard" of .03mm. I would assume this was related to the grain size and sharpness of the film that was available at the time.

This appears to have been the standard back then. I've checked a couple of my Oly 35's from the 1950's, and they show the same scales as the Kodak and Voightlander.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Shooter
    Large Format
    It might also be due to the intended use of the camera. This was thought of as a nice consumer-grade camera with decent lens whose main use was typically small snapshots for a family photo album or 35mm slides for projection at modest size.

With that in mind, a circle of confusion diameter of 0.047mm was likely viewed as “good enough for its intended purpose.”

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Back in 1938 Windisch stated that for the leica lenses a circle of confusion of 1/30mm has been defined. So it seems not to be a matter of changing times.
    Marketing wise the lenses with bigger dof seem to be "better" unless one cares to understand the resaon behind this.
    I'm leaning towards a mixture of intended use (which includes print size or the popular slide projection) and company standard.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    I was getting ready to take out my Kodak Retina 1b and Voightlander Vito II, and was playing with the hyperfocal scales. On both cameras the scales are one stop off. So for f8 the hyperfocal distance should be about 34 feet. But on both cameras this distance is shown for f5.8. Checking an OM 50mm showed the correct hyperfocal, about 34 ft at f8.

Why would both the Kodak and the Voightlander be off by one stop? Was it one stop of insurance to make sure everything was in focus?
    One stop 'off' from what? There is no 'gold standard' for CoC size. You can calculate the hyperfocal distance based on any CoC size you want. My rule-of-thumb is to use the marker that is two stops smaller than what is marked on most 35mm camera lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin