Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,090   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus Pen EE does not work in the slow shutter speed

Greetings, a recent 'works perfect' Pen EE purchased of Ebay is not perfect -- surprise ;-)

I am debating returning it but wanted to see if anyone can offer advice before I try to negotiate a return. THE PROBLEM: It works fine when there is a lots of light out (and the ASA is at a higher setting) and the shutter happily clicks away. As you may remember, the EE has a slower shutter speed that it uses for lower light levels (but light levels that are still bright enough to not trip the red flag). This slower speed is also used for the flash settings. When the shutter is operating at this slower speed it does not close. Well it does not close until you either let up of the shutter button or jiggle the wind lever.

I have googled, within here and elsewhere, and I have heard sticky shutters and aperture blades can be a problem with this camera, but the weird thing is that it works faultlessly when it is firing at 1/200th of a second. It is when it is firing at 1/40th of a second that it is not working. I don't think it is sticky shutters or blades, but may be wrong.

Given this camera does not have a super fast lens (only f3.5) nor can handle film faster than 200ISO, it is a big deal that it cannot fire at the slower speed. Any suggestions out there, or should I just try to return the puppy?? I know there are great guides of Pen EE tear down -- http://www.instructables.com/id/Olym...-and-Overhaul/ -- which I may do it there are no other options, but I am not sure that this would address the issue.

Thanks...
    don

Shooter
    35mm
    It is fairly common for shutters on older cameras to fire fine at faster speeds, but to stick at slower speeds. At the risk of being blunt, it is very naive to buy a 50 year old camera and expect it to work perfectly. If you're going to buy a camra of this vintage and expect it to be a "user" you'd better be prepared to shell out the 100+ bucks to have it CLA'd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frankly Tim, as I only paid a few bucks for this little fellow, tossing $100+ on it for a CLA would be what I call naive, as this camera is not that rare and my investment a pittance. Perhaps you mistook my posting as a rant about being ripped off. It was not.

If any Pen EE owner has had any experiences of a similar nature or suggestions, that would be appreciated. I am guessing a tear down as listed in the above instructibles link might do the trick (and keep me amused for a night). If any Pen owners can offer other suggestions (other than a CLA as I have other cameras deserving it more), that would also be great. I am also interested in learning PEN SPECIFIC issues to look out for when on the hunt for a working EE (to repeat I am not looking for tips on buying vintage cameras in general). Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't taken apart an EE to see how it works or repaired one, but I've done a Pen D, D3 and Trip 35 and all were fairly easy to clean up and get going again so it's worth looking into. The EEs are really fun little cameras.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks eurekaiv. I am following the instructibles how-to link that I previously listed but I cannot (even with a bit of elbow grease) spin off the inner ring on the lens that looks like it holds it together. It looks like a splined tool would do it. I just looked at the Pen D on line and my trip 35 and they look like they may open a bit different. Do they both open up by spinning off the inner ring? Thanks! Don.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you mean the ring that has "D.Zuiko 1:3.5..." on it? If so, there are three very small flathead set screws that you must release before lifting that ring up and out. Be sure that before doing so you note where the focus scale is set (I always move it to the mountain setting) so you get it back together in the right place. Also, be careful screwing the set screws back during re-assembly, as torquing one too much can ruin the lens.

Last edited by eurekaiv; 09-26-2012 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Return it.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha Derek I was planning on returning it but i only paid $18 for it and would likely eat up most of that in shipping! Plus the little cuties has grown on me. It would have been a great deal if it worked right ;-)

I have specifically wanted a 'beach camera' (as the grit in my om lenses is killing me) and maybe that is what this will be, giving me a taste of the Pen series.

Thanks eurekaiv for the help. I just need to now decide whether I let it be or fix it. I think it is time for me to shoot a roll on a sunny day and then decide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you absolutely have to you can borrow mine I supposed, I have one of those too, I am not impress with them at all. However the uncut negative is a sight!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, the EE is a bit different then the later EEs. So you weren't able to undo it with a pin spanner or similar tool? Perhaps it's reverse threaded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin