Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,219   Online: 1064

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Do we really produce anything worth keeping for million years?

Plus, I'm in agreement with Les on visual aspect. Almost all recent technology involve encoding visual image to some kind of form that will require special device to read and an algorithm to decode so we can turn them back into visual images. How are we going to keep those hundreds of different encoding method and reading devices for millions of years? I think we really have a problem here. In few millenniums, future generation won't know much about us, unlike the way we know about our ancestors.
    You just answered your own question!

Historians would kill for the most everyday of records from some time periods. That's why I sometimes photograph very unloved 1960s buildings - they may be considered ugly and old-fashioned now and about to be demolished, but go back to the '60s and the general public felt the same about 1890s buildings. Now we mourn their loss while demolishing what the people of 2060 may well regard in the same way. The more images and written works we as a civilisation produce, the better the chance that some of them will survive. That's also why I sometimes just shoot street scenes which at first glance have little artistic merit - they're still a record of that moment on that day.

However, expecting any single media to survive for centuries is a bad idea. I still have 5.25 and 3.15 floppy drives but wouldn't like to guess how much of the data on those disks is still readable. Within the last twenty years we've seen formats come and go (Minidisk for example) regardless of their actual utility. The market is now rigged to have people lust after whatever's new and shiny, never mind whether it's an improvement over what they already have, change for change's sake seems to be the order now.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    They can claim that it lasts a million years, who's going to prove otherwise? That is a load of old tosh claiming that, when It cannot be conclusively proved.

Even if they could, at what cost? Certainly it will be more than we are prepared to spend when we will never 'in a million years(') see the benefit of it. Its like buying the Saudi oil reserves for your own car, when will you ever use it all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    Could this kill film for good?
    Turn-about is fair play.

Film, in the form of 2x2 transparencies, killed the popular glass lantern slides.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The film killer is the point in time when all of us dinosaurs pass on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    According to a different article I read, a laser is used to engrave it. An optical microscope is used to read it. It's digital information. So the reading part is going to have to develop.

It's obviously only a proof of concept at this time. The only threat to film that I can see is storage of movies on film, so it would be one more thing film is no longer used for.
    I meant to ask what kind of equipment will the user need when this comes to market?
    Right now, this probably takes a laboratory full of scientific equipment. The consumer, not even a technician for a government agency or a conservator in a museum, is never going to want to use bare lasers and optical microscopes with digicams mounted in the eyepiece. They are not going to like having cables running, haphazardly over their table tops. They are going to want a box that has a power cable and a data cable coming out of the back, a little slot in the front panel and a couple of buttons to control the thing.

Ideally, they are going to want one box that will read and write the data. I can't imagine anybody buying two devices, one to write data and another to read data.
    I suppose, if it's possible to use an already-existing film scanner, it would be possible to read the data with equipment that the user already owns.

This all begs the question of software. Who's going to write it? When will it be available for a given operating system?
    What format will this data be written in? Who owns the software that decodes it? Will the user be at the mercy of the manufacturer to read his own data if and when software updates change that format?

I am often called upon to rescue data that other people have stored using now-defunct software that can't be used anymore.
    I had one guy who was going on a business trip to a trade show and all the information that he needed was saved using Microsoft Works. Current versions of Microsoft Word usually don't support Works files. As I came to find out, neither do many other programs support them. It took me a good chunk of an afternoon to find a program that could read it. (Neo Office, IRRC.) If I didn't find that program and help the guy get his data out of that archaic format and into something that he could use, his business might have been sunk!

Yes, these little, glass slips will last a gazillion years but will we be able to read the data off them 25 years from now?

I just can't imagine that some multimillion dollar company betting the farm on some technology that hasn't been proven and that they don't have any guarantees that they will have software that can read back their data after 25 years.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To address some of the comments on here about this, and my reason for posting it is to find out your views on this new technology. Compared to CD/DVD's, this is supposed to be a lot longer lasting. Yes, it only has 40 MB of storage, but that will no doubt be improved to something higher. As with anything the price will come down I assume. As much as I love film, I'm finding it to become so expensive that in a few years I will not afford it no matter what I prefer. I would hope that some of my pictures, especially of family will be around for at least 100 years. My old Kodachrome slides will probably do that easily as some are 50 years old now and look great. If I go to digital 100% some day, (and being 60 years old I know that I will only be a digital photographer for about 20 years at most) I would like to know that I can back up my shots to last for years after my death. Right now there doesn't seem to be anything out there in the digital world that will last for 100 years that a simple scratch will render useless. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ink jet prints already last longer than chromogenic color ones but color isn't dead..
    Roger are you making a comparison with RA4 prints? If so I hadn't realised that we had got to the point where an inkjet print from a colour neg scan or straight from a digital card might be the better bet if I want my grandchildren to see what life was like in beginning of the second decade of the 21st century.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Huh? I really don't understand how a new digital memory technology has anything at all to do with the future of film....the two seem totally unrelated?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Huh? I really don't understand how a new digital memory technology has anything at all to do with the future of film....the two seem totally unrelated?
    I suppose the underlying assumption is that long term image archiving is digital imaging's Achilles Heel and that this new storage technology solves that issue.

Shooter
    35mm
    None of this matters, the world is going to end this year according to the mayan calender.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin