Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,948   Online: 919

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Huh? I really don't understand how a new digital memory technology has anything at all to do with the future of film....the two seem totally unrelated?
    Kodak management said something like this in the 80s! With this in mind, you could have had a bright future at Kodak for as long as it might have lasted.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Huh? I really don't understand how a new digital memory technology has anything at all to do with the future of film....the two seem totally unrelated?
    They are totally unrelated. Roger Cole pointed that out in post no. 2. Almost nobody chooses one over the other because of its longevity.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak management said something like this in the 80s! With this in mind, you could have had a bright future at Kodak for as long as it might have lasted.

PE

That was then...this is now. The damage has been (mostly) done. Besides, I think that you're talking about the advent of digital imaging technology whereas this thread is about yet another digital memory device...

I remember the first time I saw a digital camera. It was August of 1994 or 1995. I was working for Ford Motor company. We were out at the Arizona proving grounds doing some tests. There was a failure and we wanted to get photographic evidence back to the mother ship in Dearborn. They had a digital camera in one of the labs...it was big and expensive...and amazing! I had no idea that it would so quickly displace consumer photography but, I knew then that this was a very big deal.

Anyway, I get the impression that the OP only shoots film because he recognizes that film has superior archival properties and that is an important concern for him. I really do not see this new technology solving the problem. One still needs a machine to make sense of the bits...and as others have pointed out, the million year claim is complete Bull Shit (aka marketing hype).

(PS: I'll pretend that you didn't just call me an idiot. )
    Last edited by BradS; 09-25-2012 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    useless if you can't read it. vinyl records use technology which, engraved in titanium or some other non-corroding metal (gold?) will last for millenia.
    But who's got a record player?

even simple writing on stone has problems -- Someone needs a Rosetta Stone, or even the best writing can turn into nothing but squiggles...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a floppy disk drive, but a good number of my factory disks are unreadable.

The real challenge is all of the proprietary RAW formats. While there is plenty of support in various image editing programs now, I wonder about 25 years from now. And whether current RAW programs will run in the future.

On the other hand, I'll be gone in 50 years, so I guess that I won't really care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brand;

Only if you feel like one!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    None of this matters, the world is going to end this year according to the mayan calender.
    Actually, the Mayan's didn't account for leap year, their 2012 happened a while ago.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    But who's got a record player?
    Me... and lots of others.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got one. If you look carefully you can find very nice turntables for not a lot of money now, as the marketing machine has convinced people that they're old and uncool (which is odd, as apparently production of vinyl is on the way back up again). Just put a new stylus (or cartridge/headshell if you can't find a stylus to fit) on and they keep going.

The whole Maya nonsense makes me laugh. Anyone considered that the Maya thought process went something like this: "Right, that's the calendar worked out for the next couple of thousand years, let's go and do something more useful until we need to work out the rest!"

I found an article a while ago about the New York World's Fair time capsules. Looking at the lengths they went to I'd say said capsules have a good chance of surviving and being found in 6939, "fifty feet down at exactly 40° 44' 34".089 North Latitude, 73° 50' 43".842 West Longitude" to quote Tales of Future Past. Books explaining what the capsules are, where they are, how to open them and how to read the contents were distributed around the world on the basis that the more copies the better the chance of at least one surviving.

Film probably can survive long-term but needs to be properly stored - albums in a dry room won't do for the real long-term. The capsules mentioned above were lined with glass and filled with nitrogen to preserve the contents.
    Matt

Shooter
    127 Format
    The biggest threat to photographic film is film company management!
    - Bill Lynch

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin