Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,986   Online: 976

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Probably. Everything else has been tried.

With best regards.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    useless if you can't read it. vinyl records use technology which, engraved in titanium or some other non-corroding metal (gold?) will last for millenia.
    But who's got a record player?
    I have a turntable of recent manufacture and I listen to LPs all the time. There are plenty of turntables being made and sold today, from good quality ones in the $350 to $2500 range, to exotic ones costing tens of thousands of dollars.

If you are talking about some time in the distant future, any halfway technological culture could easily figure out how to build one. An LP is a pretty simple analog recording medium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I replied to this thread in the MF forum. I deal with archived audio at work. The problem isn't with the medium, it's with how do you retrieve it. I have to maintain an OS9 computer just to read a backup that was generated in 2002. That is because the software now will not read the old format. Of course I could spend countless thousands of dollars to port the old software to OSX and Windows 7 as I need two incompatable computers. Yes, there are conversion programs, but at what degredation. Will your Photoshop of today read all the formats, will your computer read a 3 1/2 inch floppy? What if the format is a flop like Beta? Or is it just Sony 1630 vs. JVC vs. Mitsubishi vs. 3M vs. Sony DASH? Or in the computer world of audio Broadcast wave vs. SDII? In the artistic world people think of 100+ years, in the business world people think of 7-10 years, IRS years. But you can still play back an audio tape from 1950, I did it today actually.
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    35mm
    The other thing to think about is what you need to read the data.

If you're thinking in terms of a time capsule then you need to make it as simple as possible to read and also include instructions as to how to read it. The Voyager golden record included a stylus and instructions on how to use it, which any civilisation able to find the probes should be capable of following. Prints obviously don't need anything beyond captions explaining what they show, and maybe a Rosetta stone-type guide to help a future civilisation understand the language.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    The other thing to think about is what you need to read the data.

If you're thinking in terms of a time capsule then you need to make it as simple as possible to read and also include instructions as to how to read it. The Voyager golden record included a stylus and instructions on how to use it, which any civilisation able to find the probes should be capable of following. Prints obviously don't need anything beyond captions explaining what they show, and maybe a Rosetta stone-type guide to help a future civilisation understand the language.
    When played backward does it say "paul is dead" ?
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    who cares
    film and prints
    won't last long
    the way most people process
    and store it.
    and if it does kill commercially
    available film and paper
    there are ways to do photography
    as the photographers did
    before 1870 when commercial plates
    and flms and papers became commonplace,
    making emulsions, wet+dry plates. salt prints and
    albumen papers really isn't that hard ...

its almost 1890 at this point, whats a few more years

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lacavol View Post
    But you can still play back an audio tape from 1950, I did it today actually.
    I don't know, the last time I played some of my old audio tapes there was a lot of print-through.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    The biggest threat to photographic film is film company management!
    Not all of them suffer from this problem.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think if you want to be sure about your quartz lantern to be found after 250 million years later , there is one place in USA ,
    it is Carlsbad New Mexico , my sister stayed at there for 3 weeks this summer. It is nuclear waste disposal site and if a continent fault line wouldnt crack there too many pieces , if sea ocean dont invade there , if there wouldnt invaded with volcanic eruptions , or world would be hit with an astreoid ,it will stay there for another 400 million years and any civilization could detect there.

I think if you want to keep whatever you have in photography , the best way is to carve that lantern with analog pictures. Or may be someone would invent a way to carve in a quartz block a long video to be watched after directed to light. That would be even better. May be you can load all the internet as a person view from the LCD and everything is fine.

Dont underestimate the future and inventors.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    By the way , if there would be a future for intelligent life for not more than 2000 years after , we will be at other galaxies , invent quantum teleportation and time travel.
    No need for small glass pieces.
    But if you can invent now a extremelly high quality translating software , allow to the book distribution free on e books without thinking to restrict the technology race , etc.

I think obama contucted the biggest crime on earth with closing free ebooks site , it looks like nazis burned the books.
    He will pay this.

Umut

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin