Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,375   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    Thanks, I think I will definitely be look for a 28mm series E, after reading this they seem just as good as the AI/AIS lenses, and are much more affordable!

Also, a question to everyone, what kind of camera bags do you use? I have looked at Domke and Billingham Hadley, but they are both very expensive. I love the style of the bags but they are just very expensive.

James
    Depending on where I shoot I use a beat up bag that doesn't look like a camera bag.A good bag is worth the expense.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I have been reading about the Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 E and the 80-200mm f/4 AIS, I cannot decide which one I want to buy, I have found both on eBay for good prices, about £50 for the 75-150 and £60 for the 80-200mm, so which do you think is better, I definitely want a telephoto lens, along with a 50mm f/1.8 (after reading some reviews it sounds way better than the 1.4) and 28mm f/2.8 E. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by James-EG; 09-29-2012 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Out of the two zooms I would get the 70-150 Series E. I have seen some great photographs taken with it. Google for Galen Rowell & you should find some samples. Apart from the zoom getting loose with age, I haven't seen a bad word written about it. It is the only Series E lens that I would think of buying ahead of a Nikkor. I look at them from time to time on ebay but so far have resisted the temptation.

I would get the 50mm for sure. The F2 is said to be a bit better than the F1.8 optically. I have the pancake F1.8 which is supposed to be the worst of the bunch. I have never found it wanting though. I would think about the 28mm F2.8 AIS ahead of the Series E. I have never shot the Series E, but have the AIS & have been very happy with it. Here is a link to a Ken Rockwell review of it http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

CRC as well as better coatings.

For going longer than 150mm maybe think about a 200mm F4 Nikkor. I have the AI version & it is very good optically. 28mm, 50mm & 200mm primes & the Series E 70-150 should be quite a good set.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    The choice of equipment should really depend on what sort of subjects you are interested in. Most, if not all, of the Nikon equipment you mention is good. You should be careful, however, not to invest in things you dont need. I recently bought a 24mm AIS lens which gets great reviews. The problem is that I dont really like the 'shape' of the images it produces. I prefer the view through a 28mm. This a personal thing, and you wont know what suits you best until you get out and try it. That is why a zoom can be quite useful at the start. You can see which focal lengths you regularly use, and perhaps get better quality prime lens equivalents later on.Also, If you regularly find that something longer, or wider, than your zoom is needed, you can check out an appropriate lens. I would be slow to buy a 50mm regardless of aperture. The view you get is very 'normal'. They were practically extinct at one point, and have only recently come back in fashion, mainly for use on digital cameras where the 'view' they give is usually different to that on a 35mm SLR. I have the 50mm F1.8, but rarely use it. I have a Billingham Hadley and it is a good bag. It doesn't hold a huge amount, but that can be an advantage. I also have a Kata 3 in 1 30 which is a rucksack. It is tough and well made. It is very comfortable, even fully loaded. You can get it a bit cheaper from an English company called Premier Ink(online). I have various other small bags which carry less, but are useful for travelling light. Lowepro and Tamrac are two companies you should look at as well. I hope this helps. Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm I havn't seen anyone mention Bjørn Rørslett and his lensreviews
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin