Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,317   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Circular Polarizer

For a Canon F1n, should I be using a linear polarizer or a circular polarizer?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some (all?) auto focus cameras need a circular polarizer but for manual focus, it doesn't matter. Either one will work fine for you Canon F1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Some (all?) auto focus cameras need a circular polarizer but for manual focus, it doesn't matter. Either one will work fine for you Canon F1.
    Not necessarily true. My T-90 requires a circular polarizer. It has to do with how the metering light is picked off. It is true to say that all AF cameras and some MF cameras require a circular polarizer if you want metering and AF to work correctly.

A circular polarizer will work with anything. Unless you know you will never get a body that needs it I would get a circular polarizer.

Otherwise the F-1 is simple enough that a linear will work fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F-3 metering seems to work best with circular polarizer too. I think that is stated in the manual... but I've used a linear polarizer and have been lucky.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used a linear polarizer on my AE-1 for years before I knew the difference. Never had a problem with metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used linear polarizers on my Nikons FE and FM2, no problems. I think the polarizing effect is greater with linear polarizers. I recently helped a friend shoot pictures of her artwork with a borrowed Canon 5D. Her artwork was under glass and I didn't have polarizing filters fore the lights. There were both circular and linear polarizers in the camera bag. I saw the reflection reduced more with the linear polarizer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman_nh View Post
    Not necessarily true. My T-90 requires a circular polarizer. It has to do with how the metering light is picked off. ....
    Interesting. I hadn't thought of that but it makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    I've used linear polarizers on my Nikons FE and FM2, no problems. I think the polarizing effect is greater with linear polarizers. I recently helped a friend shoot pictures of her artwork with a borrowed Canon 5D. Her artwork was under glass and I didn't have polarizing filters fore the lights. There were both circular and linear polarizers in the camera bag. I saw the reflection reduced more with the linear polarizer.
    I've also noticed that the linear polarizers are "better" in this regard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You must use a circular polarizer with the F-1, F-1n, New F-1, FT, FTb, and any Canon that has the partial area metering block in the viewfinder screen. That block has a beam splitter mirror that diverts x-amount of light to the meter cell which is in the body. The beam splitter mirror will go black when a linear polarizer is used because the mirror acts as a phase polarizer. This was a very common problem with the early autofocus systems that used 1/2 mirrors (beam-splitters). This problem is avoided with a circular polarizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have reserched this matter, all models of the Canon F1 require a circular polarizer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm I've been using a linear polarizer and had good results.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin