Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,766   Online: 865

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shutter speeds

Shooter
    Large Format

shutter speeds

What are the advantages of owning a DSLR with a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec as opposed to a speed of 1/4000 sec ?
    I see many top end DSLR's have a speed of 1/4000 sec , how often would you find the need of 1/8000 sec for creative situations and or in general shooting situations ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 1/8000 shutter speed was actually first introduced on 35mm film SLRs back in the 1980s. I believe the Nikon N8008 was the first. My old Nikon F4s film camera has 1/8000 top shutter speed, as does my digital Canon 5DmkII. As to its usefulness, I have used it exactly once, with the F4s, when I was in high school in 1994, when photographing a sports event for the school newspaper. It would be most useful for sports and wildlife work, and even there it would be used rarely.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1/8000 seconds

I have this shutter speed available on my Pentax PZ-1p 35mm camera and I have personally found it useful when I am shooting ultrafast films (think Fuji Superia 1600 or Kodak TMax P3200 (or Delta Pro 3200.) I also have it on my Canon 5D digital, but I rarely have use for it since that camera's ISO can easily be adjusted for each individual shot (as opposed to having to work with a whole roll of film.) However, like any available shutter speed, I am sure it is useful in certain artistic circumstances where you may need to try and stop some particularly fast action.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1/8000th second is particularly useful if you have fast lenses that you want to use wide open in daylight.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    When you think of it there are quite a lot of things on a camera that are rarely used - for instance I have never used 'program mode' or Shutter priority. But for some they are useful and for the manufacturer they are a selling point. Minolta even had a 1/12000th on the Dynax 9 how many times was that used?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sorry to ask this: Robin, are you sure you are in the right forum? This one is for Large Format cameras and for Film cameras!
    Thanks!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've moved this to the 35mm forum, and since there are film cameras with a 1/8000 shutter speed we can keep the discussion open, but discussing DSLR's is off topic for APUG. Try our sister site DPUG if you want to discuss DSLR cameras and their features.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    1/8000th second is particularly useful if you have fast lenses that you want to use wide open in daylight.

Steve
    It's an expensive neutral density filter in other words
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by robin623 View Post
    What are the advantages of owning a DSLR with a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec as opposed to a speed of 1/4000 sec ?
    I see many top end DSLR's have a speed of 1/4000 sec , how often would you find the need of 1/8000 sec for creative situations and or in general shooting situations ?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I think this question you should ask yourself. For example myself I have never used shutter speed above 1/1000 for almost 40 years I have used the camera so to me a camera with high shutter speed is no advantage.

There is one thing though and I don't know if it's true. Many of my old 35mm SLR the top shutter speed of 1/1000 are not accurate so if my Nikon F5 with top shutter speed of 1/8000 and that may not be accurate but is the 1/1000 speed is any more accurate???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i always use ultra high shutter speeds when i take portraits
    especially when i am photographing someone really "twitchy"
    the last thing i want is to get a blurry image
    when i am shooting wide open, and if i can catch a bug in flight
    its icing on the cake !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin