Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,235   Online: 1086

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Nikon's matrix metering on film bodies like F100 or F5 works really well with slides but sometimes underexposes when using color negative or b&w. That could be one explanation why OP likes to use the F5 with slides.

I noticed that with my F5. thats what gave me the idea for this thread post. not sure if its because of the color matrix meter in the F5 or not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    I noticed that with my F5. thats what gave me the idea for this thread post. not sure if its because of the color matrix meter in the F5 or not
    It's a good observation. It seems to me from the responses here that the metering is the biggest driver.

I think that the biggest reason I am comfortable with any film in any of my cameras is because I incident meter.

It's not that I don't use my camera's meters, just that incident metering is primary and I have learned how to use each of my camera's meters to mimic the readings I get from an incident meter directly.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Most major manufacturers in the 70s and 80s weigthed meter to favor color print film or slide depending on the level of the market the body was aimed at.
    Amatuer bodies were set to over expose slightly to favor print film where adavanced/pro bodies were set to under expose slightly to favor slide film.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've found that 35mm works best in the 35mm cameras, because with 35mm in the MF cameras, I have to unload the camera in the dark instead of just rewinding the film. Unless it's my Yashica 635 or my Rolleiflex & Rolleikin. Oh, yeah, and I can't put sheet film into a Minox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't pay an attention to this sort of thing. I'm more interested in which film I feel like shooting and it goes in whichever body is next in the "use-me" queue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Most major manufacturers in the 70s and 80s weigthed meter to favor color print film or slide depending on the level of the market the body was aimed at.
    Amatuer bodies were set to over expose slightly to favor print film where adavanced/pro bodies were set to under expose slightly to favor slide film.
    Interesting - I have noticed better results with slide film in my KX or MXs but I put it down to their being manual. Without the temptation to just shoot on Auto mode (and with those fiddly buttons on the ME Super you tend to leave it in Av mode) you're forced to think about the exposure and see what range of readings you get from pointing the camera at different parts of the scene.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I was suspicious of exposure bias based on expected use in the mid 70s, sometime in the late 70s early 80s this was confirmed by Pop Photo editors.
    I base film choice on shooting requirements and then pick a suitable body.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    for some reason i have been shooting dspecific films, B&W, color neg and slide in specific cameras. I don't know if its because i think meters in certain cameras do a better job than others with a certain film type, or its just OCD thing .

I find that my Nikon F5 works great with all slide films, better than any of my other cameras. for color neg I find that my f80, n90 and F4 all do a great job. for black and white I really like my FA, FE2 and N80 as well as the F5. So am I crazy? my girlfriend thinks so! based on the cameras I have I would love to hear what types of film you think would be best suited for a specific camera. Or is it all a waste, just shut and shoot. Also do you have a specific film that you only shoot in a specific camera like me.

my cameras are all Nikon. F5, F4s, N90, N80, FA, FE2 and an F. I have also been wanting a F100 but not sure it will give me anything different from the cameras I have. Maybe its just that i dont have it and want it. so would the F100 fill in any holes i might have?

thanksa and happy shooting.
    Your camera doesn't care one little bit about which film is in it, as long as the film is the right physical size. Just make certain the meter, if it has one, and the shutter speeds are accurate.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 10-01-2012 at 10:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have only one 35mm and one medium format camera. I would like to shoot Delta 100 or Fuji Acros 100 in the FM2 since I don't like too much grain, but for what I use the Nikon for (indoor/lowlight) I am usually in need of more speed so I have just bought some Delta 400 to try and I hope that does the trick. I find Tri X and HP5 are too grainy in 35mm. If so I will stick to just Delta 400 for b/w.

I have two backs for the RB67 so I usually keep Delta 100/Fuji Acros 100 in one and then Tri-X/HP5 in the other. I find the grain is not much of an issue on 6x7 negs.

I have only ever shot colour on Portra 400 in the RB67 and was blown away by the lack of grain. So Portra 400 or Portra 160 (depending on lighting) would be my colour film of choice. It would probably make more sense to get an ND filter and just use Portra 400 for all colour stuff now that I think about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot good picture film in my F-1 and my Rolleiflex. I shoot bad picture film in my digicam and my Moskva-5.

Phillip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin