Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,611   Online: 928

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

do you shoot specific types of film in specific cameras?

for some reason i have been shooting dspecific films, B&W, color neg and slide in specific cameras. I don't know if its because i think meters in certain cameras do a better job than others with a certain film type, or its just OCD thing .

I find that my Nikon F5 works great with all slide films, better than any of my other cameras. for color neg I find that my f80, n90 and F4 all do a great job. for black and white I really like my FA, FE2 and N80 as well as the F5. So am I crazy? my girlfriend thinks so! based on the cameras I have I would love to hear what types of film you think would be best suited for a specific camera. Or is it all a waste, just shut and shoot. Also do you have a specific film that you only shoot in a specific camera like me.

my cameras are all Nikon. F5, F4s, N90, N80, FA, FE2 and an F. I have also been wanting a F100 but not sure it will give me anything different from the cameras I have. Maybe its just that i dont have it and want it. so would the F100 fill in any holes i might have?

thanksa and happy shooting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes and no. With 35mm I keep my F4s that lives permanently in my car loaded with Portra 400, My F5 gets a mix of and Provia, Ektachrome, or Ilford B&W. My MF camera eats a diet of a dozen different emulsions and about the same for my 4x5.

I HATE, HATE! I tell you HATE color negative film with a passion. I only keep Portra in my F4 because it covers most any lighting situation I might encounter.

I see no need getting an F100 unless you want a lightweight F5. I've had a FM, N6006, N8008, N90 & N90s, F3, F4, F4s, F5. I sold what I didn't use and what didn't work well with my selection of lenses, so now I only have an F4s and F5 for 35mm. I love the metering in the F5 and the fact that I can use my G lenses with VR. But I like my F4s with my 50mm/1.4 the most because if someone tried to rob me I can beat them with it then take pictures of their dead body afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, for my F3 == Trix, F5 == (color) 400 neg

for my Hassy -- different backs solves the problem; but I use the backs for the same film (never change out the film 'tab')

this is all just for habit --- makes the task of picking up (which) a camera easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I too have specific cameras always loaded with specific films (OCD? Perhaps...). Too wit: F5 (E100VS); F6 (E100G); F2/F2AS/F3HP (Tri-X/HP5); M6x2(1xE100G, 1xTri-X/HP5); Hasselblad A12s (4xPanF Plus/FP4 Plus, 2xE100G/VS - depending upon subject matter/time of year,etc.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, but I shoot only B&W and the subject determines which type of film I shoot. Either slow or fast film.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F5 was basically made for shooting slides, it should do it well.

I basically use two films, that's it. Color negative porta 160, and B&W tmax 400. I like consistency between formats. I use tmy2 on 120 and 4x5 and 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use all types of film in all my cameras. I haven't notice any diffrence. Not to start a 'fight' I do kinda like color negative film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just shoot black and white in all my cameras. 100 ISO for the older cameras with a 50/sec or slower shutter, though. My SLRs, I stick to 100 and 400 and don't worry about film speed as I can adjust for that with shutter/aperture.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    35mm
    erm well I use the 35mm film I like in all my cameras...which is usually Fuji Superia 200 or Reala.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I am carrying two bodies, and only one has black and white film in it, and the bodies available come in black and otherwise (chrome or champagne) I'll put the black and white film in the black body.

That way I'll be less likely to become confused .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin