Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,843   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Medium Format

Broken Canon A-1 Fixable?

The spool that grabs the sprocket holes broke on my Canon A-1 today. Is this something that is repairable? If so, how much. Should I even bother. I know they can be bought rather inexpensively.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably! There will be few if not any new spares available, but most repairers canibalise old cameras to get others back on the road again so you will have to ring around and see.

Shooter
    35mm
    Short answer, probably. But unless it has specific sentimental value then it's probably more cost-effective to buy another and keep yours as a source of spares. If the new one breaks then providing it isn't the same fault a repairer would be able to make one good camera from the two.
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually already have one for parts. Does anyone on here know of some who does repairs. The camera store near me charges $125 just to replace the seals and it can 3 weeks. I had two cameras have shutter problems and I was without them for about 3 months. I really rather not deal with them.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Garry's Camera Repair: http://www.garryscamera.com/
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format

Broken Canon A-1 Fixable?

$125 for seals???!!!

That's got to be one of the easiest jobs there is, on a camera.

As for the take-up spool, sorry I can't help you there. My A-1 hasn't suffered that issue yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would send it to Essex Camera Service in carlstadt, NJ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get one freom KEH.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin