Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 889

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentax lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of tricks for the Pentax K1000.
    • Since it doesn't have DOF preview, you can set to the desired aperture, and carefully release the lens - keeping it on the body and don't drop it, and it will stop down.
    • Since it doesn't have a self timer, you can be on the look out for a mechanical self timer that looks like this . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Any 35mm SLR with any 50mm lens will yield good results in competent hands. Chasing down gear, or opinions of gear, isn't going to improve your results. You have all that you need in the kit you have been given.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I am going to possibly pick up a Pentax MX with 50mm f/1.7 and 28mm lens, also a flash and camera bag. I know I don't need the 50mm and don't really need the camera, but it's only £35! Also, regarding the mechanical timer, I will definitely keep an eye out for one, they look brilliant! And thanks for the tip with the depth of field preview.
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Once you have the MX you probably won't be using the K1000 much!

The K1000 just strikes me as being hair-shirted. Any SLR with full manual mode is perfectly acceptable to learn photography with, extras like a self timer or a switch to turn the light meter off are hardly cheating. Why deliberately make life harder, especially given the prices good K1000s go for?

I started with a K1000 as in a pre-Internet age I didn't know what other Pentax bodies were out there. Now I'd suggest a KX or MX for a beginner wanting a fully mechanical SLR, or a P30 for someone wanting to try film.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Depending on what kind of adapter you have, if it's a good one, you can remove the little "spring" (there's a tiny tiny screw attaching it to the adapter ring) and instead dedicate the adapter ring to the lens and then use the lens as a K-Mount lens in a "normal" way. The "lens-lock" wont work though, but in most cases the lens is firmly attached anyway (if not, just put a tiny bit of scotch somewhere on the metal part on the back of the lens that "connects" with the body, and it'll sit just fine.

I have a cpl of M42's that I use for K-mount, and I have one adapter on each (with the spring removed) works like a charm and makes those lenses k-lenses in my world.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    It is unbelievable how Pentax MX managed to get the largest full info viewfinder in the smallest fully mechanical 35mm SLR body!

A trick with the MX - and as I understand with all Pentax bodies that don't have MLU, is that you can very quickly hit the shutter and it will raise the mirror. Clicking the shutter again fires the shutter normally - releasing the mirror after.

Shooter
    35mm
    The genuine Pentax M42-K adapters aren't hard to remove. You just use a fingernail to pull the little tab toward the centre of the mount, then turn the adapter to remove it.

The quick shutter flick trick seems to work on some bodies but not others. I've never managed to get any of mine to do it, one MX did it unexpectedly but hasn't since.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not too familiar with the K lenses. Just use the Pentax SMC 50mm f1,8, (given), the Rikenon 50mm f2 and the enjoyable Tokina 80-200 f4,5 (i know it's quite dark).

On the market, amasingly, the K lenses aren't that cheap, so I also use Tamron adaptall lenses on my K1000 or the Ricoh KR10x.

However, although, I am not an expert, I have often heard bad reviews about the Takumars designed for the K lenses. It might not be the case for every single lens of that serie, but before purchasing one, make a deeper research regarding that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Depending on what kind of adapter you have, if it's a good one, you can remove the little "spring" (there's a tiny tiny screw attaching it to the adapter ring) and instead dedicate the adapter ring to the lens and then use the lens as a K-Mount lens in a "normal" way. The "lens-lock" wont work though, but in most cases the lens is firmly attached anyway (if not, just put a tiny bit of scotch somewhere on the metal part on the back of the lens that "connects" with the body, and it'll sit just fine.
    Will any other type of whiskey work?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post

However, although, I am not an expert, I have often heard bad reviews about the Takumars designed for the K lenses. It might not be the case for every single lens of that serie, but before purchasing one, make a deeper research regarding that one.
    Those are the ones called "Takumar (Bayonet)".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin