Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,249   Online: 796

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentax lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Grip on the film door . . . the leather cover? If so then look into Camera Leather and others.
    Yes That's what I mean, thanks very much
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Your best bet for spares is probably Asahi Photo, they can also do a complete overhaul if you want. Other than that it's a case of haunting ebay for spares or repairs examples, problem there is that MXs tend to be fairly easy to repair so most people bid accordingly.

The yellow metal you can see is brass rather than copper, the panels on these cameras are brass with either chrome plating or black paint. You can repaint them but the panels need to be prepared carefully - see if you can find someone able to do very fine bead blasting to take them back to bare metal, then primer, top coat, and a couple of coats of lacquer. Halfords car paints are excellent quality and produce a lovely fine spray. You will have to go back after with a fine brush and acrylic white paint to re-do the lettering, then another coat of lacquer over the top to seal that in. Obviously the top and baseplate need to come off in order to do this, and the top plate will need to be stripped of its various fittings. If there are any major dents I'd leave it as-is - black cameras with brassing have a wonderfully worldly look IMO, mine looks great with a winder and small prime.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    And get the genuine ones only. I once bought a Chinese clone of the genuine Pentax adapters and it refused to release no matter how hard I tried. I ended up carefully cutting it with diagonal cutters to remove it.
    I think I got caught by a Chinese clone, although I thought the mere fact that "Pentax/M42" written on it was a good sign. And i had a real hard time to take it off. So how do you get the confirmation it is a genuine one?
    Last edited by Photo-gear; 10-01-2012 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    I think I got caught by a Chinese clone, although I thought the mere fact that "Pentax/M42" written on it was a good sign. And i had a real hard time to take it off. So how do you get the confirmation it is a genuine one?
    The best way is to buy it from a reputable place like B+H. They have it for $24.95. I can't find it on the Pentax USA website now, but it used to be on there for about $30. That website as usual needs some work

The actual Pentax product will also have an instruction sheet, and it is not hard to take off.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine (which I believe to be genuine due to the quality of the machining, it came to me holding a Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 to a KM) has "Asahi Pentax" and "Japan" engraved and painted black on the front face, no other markings (aside from the engraved orange dot on the side indicating where to align it with the body). The back is painted matte black, presumably to reduce the risk of internal reflections. The spring is held on by a lone flathead screw with a little evidence of threadlock being used.

The really stupid ones are the Chinese knock-offs with a flange to give the lens locking pin something to fit into. Thanks to this they're unable to get infinity focus as the lens is held a millimetre or so too far away from the film plane. Would love to know what nitwit came up with that one!
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks lxdude & PentaxBronica for your comments. I might go check out on B&H soon.

On my adapter it is said "M42-Pentax Japan"... It might be the right one but after using it on and off, the spring got twisted out quite a bit, so I had to straighten it out... Since then I hadn't tried out yet.

Also, I must admit that my very first adapter was a genuine Chinese one. The one "with the flange to give the lens locking pin something to fit into". What a joke! I made that mistake, no sweat. I dare not sell it back to anyone coz there is a limit to rip-off a buyer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think whoever came up with the useless M42-K adapter may have been looking at the Canon ones for too long. Those can get away with the flange as the register distance for a Canon DSLR is longer.

Back to topic, just fished my slightly scruffy MX out for some exercise. Loaded with HP5 and ready to go when I decide what to point it at.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Also, I must admit that my very first adapter was a genuine Chinese one. The one "with the flange to give the lens locking pin something to fit into". What a joke! I made that mistake, no sweat. I dare not sell it back to anyone coz there is a limit to rip-off a buyer.
    +1 on that!

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I have looked at Asahi Photo before, but the only spares they have at the moment is a focusing screen.

I just found a website selling Pentax equipment, is £30 or £49 a good price for a SMC Pentax 28mm f/2.8 m series? And is £42 a good price for the 135mm f/3.5?

Thanks, James
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have looked at Asahi Photo before, but the only spares they have at the moment is a focusing screen.

I just found a website selling Pentax equipment, is £30 or £49 a good price for a SMC Pentax 28mm f/2.8 m series? And is £42 a good price for the 135mm f/3.5?

Thanks, James
    The Rikenon 28mm f2.8 is worth considering as it gives good results.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin