Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,851   Online: 956

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pentax lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    The Rikenon 28mm f2.8 is worth considering as it gives good results.
    Thanks, I'll have a look
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on the version...

There are two Pentax-M 28mm f2.8s, the earlier one has a chrome ring on the front (like the other M lenses) and isn't considered particularly good. The later model doesn't have a chrome ring and looks suspiciously similar to the Pentax-A version aside from the aperture ring not including the "A" setting.

Personally I'd still hold out for a Pentax-M 28mm f3.5, you won't notice the half stop difference and the image quality is much higher. I managed to find a nice one for £35 or so a while back, they are out there so keep looking. The 28mm primes are holding their value as they make superb standard lenses on the Pentax DSLRs, and with Pentax new prices having been hiked recently people are looking for used kit.

Assuming that's the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 I'd keep looking, you should be able to find one for less with a bit of hunting. Can't remember if I suggested earlier but try a daily ebay search for "Pentax" showing newly-listed items first and only showing Buy It Now listings, that's about the only way to find real bargains now.

Pentax made loads of 28mm and 135mm primes as they were the standard kit (along with the 50mm sold with the cameras). There's also a 75-150mm f4 zoom which is pretty compact and has excellent image quality, London Camera Exchange have one listed for £19.99 at their Worcester branch at the moment. Might be worth a phone call?
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax lenses

Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    Depends on the version...

There are two Pentax-M 28mm f2.8s, the earlier one has a chrome ring on the front (like the other M lenses) and isn't considered particularly good. The later model doesn't have a chrome ring and looks suspiciously similar to the Pentax-A version aside from the aperture ring not including the "A" setting.

Personally I'd still hold out for a Pentax-M 28mm f3.5, you won't notice the half stop difference and the image quality is much higher. I managed to find a nice one for £35 or so a while back, they are out there so keep looking. The 28mm primes are holding their value as they make superb standard lenses on the Pentax DSLRs, and with Pentax new prices having been hiked recently people are looking for used kit.

Assuming that's the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 I'd keep looking, you should be able to find one for less with a bit of hunting. Can't remember if I suggested earlier but try a daily ebay search for "Pentax" showing newly-listed items first and only showing Buy It Now listings, that's about the only way to find real bargains now.

Pentax made loads of 28mm and 135mm primes as they were the standard kit (along with the 50mm sold with the cameras). There's also a 75-150mm f4 zoom which is pretty compact and has excellent image quality, London Camera Exchange have one listed for £19.99 at their Worcester branch at the moment. Might be worth a phone call?
    Agree about the 28mm f/3.5 - it is a truly superb lens, and I much prefer it over the 2.8.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look for the 28mm 3.6 and I will also have a look at that zoom. I'll also keep looking for a 135mm on eBay, cheking every day of course

I have to opportunity of buying the 135mm f/3.5 SMC M for £21 on eBay, it is in very good condition, is that a better price? and should I only buy the zoom if I find that I want a smaller/larger focal length after using the 135 for a bit?

Thanks, James
    Last edited by James-EG; 10-02-2012 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    James

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I cant find it now but I once found a good comparison tests of k and screw mount 50mm lenses. Of the K-mount lenses, the 50mm f1.7 was a hair better than the f2 and f1.4. I think the 55mm f1.8 was best in the screw mount group.
    -Did you buy the MX? -if not, can you PM me where you found it? I may like to buy it.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I cant find it now but I once found a good comparison tests of k and screw mount 50mm lenses. Of the K-mount lenses, the 50mm f1.7 was a hair better than the f2 and f1.4. I think the 55mm f1.8 was best in the screw mount group.
    -Did you buy the MX? -if not, can you PM me where you found it? I may like to buy it.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find it, and I did buy the MX in the end.
    James

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, that's a lot more sensibly-priced, I'd pounce on that (assuming it's in good condition with no fungus).

I've seen a suggestion that the M 50/1.7 was a development of the 55/1.8. I know it replaced it as the cheapest 50mm when the M series were released (the 50/2 came a bit later).
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I'll buy it, it is in very good condition
    James

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin