Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,058   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon 24mm lenses

Are there any differences, besides the obvious, between the 24mm F2.8D AF and the older version that did not have the Distance info chip (24mm F2.8 AF)?
    Jacob

Canon AE-1 Program - Leica M6 - Mamiya-6 (folder) - Nikon FM2

psychfunk.wordpress.com
    huntersarenotcooks.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Optically? No.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't get 3d matrix metering on the non D. The D shares distance information from the lens with compatible meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to consider the 28mm f/1.8G...really nice lens, cheap too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ordered the Non-D version, 3D metering isn't a big deal to me as I don't shoot much with flash, it was the optics I was wondering about.
    And G lenses were out of the question as it has to work with my MF Nikons too.

Thanks
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If you go right back in time to when the Vietnam War was on, there was a story about the Nikon 24mm and 50mm being designed to have a noticeably sharper centre than the edges so as to concentrate the eye on the important bits. This is only a story told possibly many times so I don't know if it has any truth in it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    If you go right back in time to when the Vietnam War was on, there was a story about the Nikon 24mm and 50mm being designed to have a noticeably sharper centre than the edges so as to concentrate the eye on the important bits. This is only a story told possibly many times so I don't know if it has any truth in it
    I thought due to the laws of physics lenses couldn't be sharper at the edge than in the centre.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a time machine, but even if it's not pin sharp at the edges, I'd imagine it's adequate.

As for the physics, I have always assumed it's very difficult to get sharp edges but I've no idea of the science itself..
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    'Urban Legend" although I have never heard this story.
    I purchased one of the first 24mm f2.8 Nikkors on the market for both reportage and weddings.
    Back then it almost instantly became one of the 'must have' lenses for a newspaper photographer. Excellent wide open for reproduction on newsprint, with f2.8 for TRI-X, I took sbout 60% of my shots with this lens. A normal 50mm lens was not used much, at least for me.
    For weddings with flash, it was and still is great to capture group portraits.-Dick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin