Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,399   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Multi Format

Plastic body and big lens - can it break the lens mount?

I wonder if this has ever happened in actual use....

Some 35mm bodies are made of metal, either brass or in more recent years magnesium alloys. Some are made out of poly-carbonate (ie. plastic). Some of my lenses are quite heavy, such as 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. If it is on a tripod, the tripod is mounted to the lens not the camera. But I hand-hold these a lot, that means when not in use, they hang off of a camera body which in turn has a strap which hangs from my shoulder.

Does the lens mount ever break as a result of weight or momentum? I can see how it can break if there is an impact, but that's not what I'm thinking about. In usual and common use, the combination hanging from shoulder and gently swinging, would it?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    You can buy sling straps which connect to the tripod mount on the lens, if you're especially worried.

I've never trusted the small number of cameras out there with plastic lens mounts for this reason. Lenses with a plastic mount, fine (providing that they're light enough). But all of my SLRs have metal from tripod mount to lens mount, even if the top and baseplates are plastic.
    Matt

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    yes
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just tied a string between the body and the lens so if it breaks, the lens won't fall to the ground.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even with all metal cameras and lenses, if I have a large lens mounted, I will carry it by the lens and hold the lens with my left hand whilst using it.

Metal is not immune to breaking and with a big enough lens, could be more prone to disform permanently than polycarbonate which can move a bit then go back to its original shape.

Just use a bit of common sense in handling and you shouldn't have any problems whatever the lens mount or body is made from.

Steve..
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 300/2.8 that fits this description. I have a separate strap on the lenses tripod ring. When wearing/lugging the combo, that's the strap I use. I'd do it with a plastic camera or a metal one...

Shooter
    35mm
    Poly carbonate frames are stronger than the nickel plated brass bayonets attached to them...
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Does the lens mount ever break as a result of weight or momentum? I can see how it can break if there is an impact, but that's not what I'm thinking about. In usual and common use, the combination hanging from shoulder and gently swinging, would it?
    At least hanging from your neck or swinging around, there will be (practically) no momemtum (torque) at the bayonet, which would otherwise easily deliever relatively large stress.
    However, fixing the camera (not the lens) to the tripod and turning the lens up or down would be the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-05-2012 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Super heavy lenses have the tripod mounts on the lens.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin