Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,206   Online: 965

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Equipment is a distraction if you let it. If you're chasing it as some kind of silver bullet, then you're more likely a gear whore or a dilettante. But if it is merely the tool required to produce the desired result, then there's nothing wrong with it. Yes, there's plenty of soul-less dreck made with every format, in every medium. But by the same token, don't go bashing work in other media just because it was produced via a tool/process/etc that doesn't make sense for you. Bash it if it truly is soul-less dreck. There's probably a lot more shite being made with Holgas than with 12x20 cameras, if only on a statistical basis because there's a lot more Holgas out there and the film for them costs a lot less, and they're 'hip' now so a lot of folks who don't know their f-stop from a hole in the ground are playing with them. Don't pick up a tool because using it will give you a cachet - use it because it does what it does and you want to do what it lets you do. A Hasselblad won't make you a better photographer for being a Hasselblad; however, it will if it gets out of your way and enables you to work more efficiently/effectively to communicate the ideas you want to create.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think one thing is for certain; if people would instead focus all the attention they focus on their equipment, on just becoming better at using the tools they have and improving their skills, there would be more good photography in the world.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    I might point out the Holga, Diana, etc.

Except that they're not even good enough to be consumer grade.
    Perhaps if the consumers are all pre-school.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If you're chasing it as some kind of silver bullet, then you're more likely a gear whore or a dilettante.
    I'm not sure I agree here. If the equipment you use doesn't produce the result in your brain then of course you're going to think about some other equipment. You're not going to get screaming facemelter guitar solos out of a bajo sexto, even though technically they're still guitars any more than you'd get 15fps sports shots from an 8x10 setup.

But if you want that Sally Mann/Alec Soth/Paul Graham sort of look you're just not going to get it from your dad's hand-me-down OM-10 no matter how good your concept and execution are.

Maybe, just maybe, there's someone who started off saying "Ok, to get that awesome color palate and detail, I have to start off using 4x5/8x10." I've never met one of them, though.

And that's to say nothing of people who rotate through different gear because they're looking for a 35mm/6x6/whatever setup that feels invisible in their hands. People talk about Leicas that way. Could/Should/Would people just accept whatever gear is in their hands and make great photos? Engh. Anyone who's met me knows that I'm not going to be comfortable in a size 36 jeans or size 7 shoes. Why not find something that fits?

Now if/when someone gets to the point where casting about for gear takes the place of making photos? That's another issue, a pathological one that should be remedied with a prescription of one full day off, five rolls of film, and $15 for beers or coffee to be had throughout the day while making photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    one problem is that people are too busy
    trying to copy other people's style instead of
    using a camera, any camera, and finding their own style.

i certainly couldn't care less about someone else's tripod holes
    or techniques or gear to make images " just like them "
    it isn't the equipment that makes the images, its the thing under the hood.

and forums and online communities don't help much.

its kind of laughable ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What an interesting thread.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What an interesting thread.
    Oh, you're just saying that because you started it...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    I'm not sure I agree here. If the equipment you use doesn't produce the result in your brain then of course you're going to think about some other equipment. You're not going to get screaming facemelter guitar solos out of a bajo sexto, even though technically they're still guitars any more than you'd get 15fps sports shots from an 8x10 setup.

But if you want that Sally Mann/Alec Soth/Paul Graham sort of look you're just not going to get it from your dad's hand-me-down OM-10 no matter how good your concept and execution are.

Maybe, just maybe, there's someone who started off saying "Ok, to get that awesome color palate and detail, I have to start off using 4x5/8x10." I've never met one of them, though.

And that's to say nothing of people who rotate through different gear because they're looking for a 35mm/6x6/whatever setup that feels invisible in their hands. People talk about Leicas that way. Could/Should/Would people just accept whatever gear is in their hands and make great photos? Engh. Anyone who's met me knows that I'm not going to be comfortable in a size 36 jeans or size 7 shoes. Why not find something that fits?

Now if/when someone gets to the point where casting about for gear takes the place of making photos? That's another issue, a pathological one that should be remedied with a prescription of one full day off, five rolls of film, and $15 for beers or coffee to be had throughout the day while making photos.
    Of course the old "why use a hammer to do a screwdriver's job" still applies- If you want to capture "decisive moment" type shots, or "street" photos, you're not going to get the results you expect with an 11x14 portrait camera. You might surprise yourself with what you do get if you try it with that 11x14, but I think that kind of photography requires a very self-aware photographer who is creatively open to serendipity. And the same goes the other way - if your goal is to make 6-foot tall prints of grand landscapes where you can count the ear-hairs on the deer that happens to wander through the background of the shot, you're not going to get there from here with a 35mm point-and-shoot. But you might make some landscapes that are breathtaking in their own way when printed 5x7 inches.

What I was specifically addressing in my comment, though, was the mentality of "my pictures will be BETTER if I only have camera/lens/format/tripod abc etc". Your pictures will NOT be more like Ansel Adams' if you go buy an 8x10 field camera and a 14" Commercial Ektar lens. Your pictures won't even necessarily get any better at all if you go buy that 8x10 field camera, unless you use the discipline and rigor such a camera requires to slow down and think about each frame you expose and why you want to expose it and if it's worth committing to film in the first place. And you really ought to be thinking long and hard about why you want your pictures to look like someone else's pictures in the first place. What I wanted to learn from Ansel Adams was rigor and technique; I learned it and added it to my repertoire and moved on. I want any landscape/streetscape/portrait/abstract that I take to look like a Scott Davis, not an Ansel Adams. Call it ego if you want to, but I don't want people to mistake my work for anyone else's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I want any landscape/streetscape/portrait/abstract that I take to look like a Scott Davis, not an Ansel Adams. Call it ego if you want to, but I don't want people to mistake my work for anyone else's.
    Scott:

How about Andreas Gursky?

Just once
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Scott:

How about Andreas Gursky?

Just once
    He might not have fauxtoshoppe.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin