Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,386   Online: 1099

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, maybe at the cash register I'd be ok with someone mistaking my work for a Gursky or a Wall or a Crewdson, just so long as they didn't realize their error until the return privilege expired.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    one problem is that people are too busy
    trying to copy other people's style instead of
    using a camera, any camera, and finding their own style.

i certainly couldn't care less about someone else's tripod holes
    or techniques or gear to make images " just like them "
    it isn't the equipment that makes the images, its the thing under the hood.

and forums and online communities don't help much.

its kind of laughable ...
    Much the same reaction as I have when someone says they did a photography course at school. They often come out with some very odd ideas about exposure settings and with a style which is pretty much the same as the teacher's.

I'd like to think that I could get a reasonable image from a field camera, but it definitely wouldn't suit my style. As an example, I was in one of my favoured locations yesterday. It involves a roughly half mile walk from the car to a dam with a couple of hydroelectric power plants at the base (the whole lot built in the 1890s-1900s so the architecture is worth a good long look, you notice more details every time you go). Ok with a Bronica ETRSi and 50mm lens on the shoulder strap and a tripod over my other shoulder, but there's no way you could have set the field camera up in the middle of the stone bridge just below the dam to get a shot of the looming stone monster, or moved in seconds when someone else wanted to cross it!
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The following is a post by Mark from the thread - Advantages of MF over 35mm -

A medium camera will communicate to the opposite sex a level of confidence in your abilities that could never be gotten with a 35mm, no matter how long and wide the lens is. So if you are looking to pick up chicks or land a guy the MF camera will do better than a 35mm.

LF is the REAL chick magnet.

I think not.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why not?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    why not?
    I think from the 60's onwards the statistics of use re 35mm/MF in fashion photography will show this not to be the case.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so sure about that. I was in Colorado in about 1985 and had my new 4 x 5 field camera set up in a ghost town. A young guy and his attractive girlfriend rode by on their mountain bikes and we talked a bit. They couldn't resist looking at and feeling my camera. I sometimes think if the guy had not been there she may have followed me home.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I was in Colorado in about 1985 and had my new 4 x 5 field camera set up in a ghost town. A young guy and his attractive girlfriend rode by on their mountain bikes and we talked a bit. They couldn't resist looking at and feeling my camera. I sometimes think if the guy had not been there she may have followed me home.

Dave
    You or your camera?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were fondling my camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    They were fondling my camera.
    Then I think you had a lucky escape.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    The following is a post by Mark from the thread - Advantages of MF over 35mm -

A medium camera will communicate to the opposite sex a level of confidence in your abilities that could never be gotten with a 35mm, no matter how long and wide the lens is. So if you are looking to pick up chicks or land a guy the MF camera will do better than a 35mm.

LF is the REAL chick magnet.

I think not.
    I think probably Mark was making a pun saying "Bigger is better"... no matter how long and wide the lens is... small format... large format... that stuff.
    Maybe I'm pervy...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin