Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 720

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    [I][B]
    Then photography is not for you

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Then photography is not for you!

The best images are created in the mind's eye with considered thought. The camera is just a black box to hold the film. I don't care much for the hot-shoe-shuffle of positioning/repositioning of the physical camera and whatnot. I'm interested in capturing the image as I have envisioned it. Please move on from small matters.

Now, go out and get some photography done.
    some photography is made with considered though
    but i would say that not all the best photography is.
    there are plenty of photographers who don't think
    or don't have to think because it is second nature.

it IS possible to make photographs without thinking about it.
    just as it is possible not to take 1/2 hour or an hour to compose and meter &c
    a "view" with a large format camera
    ... i don't think i have ever spent that long ... ( 24 years with LF )
    i have plenty of better things to do with my time than pointless meter readings
    and waiting a hour to depress the shutter. if it took me that long to expose a frame
    ( i can't see why 35mm would be any different ) i'd have studied dentistry.
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-31-2012 at 09:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think of second nature work as "applying decisions already made". This comes with experience and is independent of format or hardware constraint.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    some photography is made with considered though
    but i would say that not all the best photography is.
    there are plenty of photographers who don't think
    or don't have to think because it is second nature.

it IS possible to make photographs without thinking about it.
    just as it is possible not to take 1/2 hour or an hour to compose and meter &c
    a "view" with a large format camera
    ... i don't think i have ever spent that long ... ( 24 years with LF )
    i have plenty of better things to do with my time than pointless meter readings
    and waiting a hour to depress the shutter. if it took me that long to expose a frame
    ( i can't see why 35mm would be any different ) i'd have studied dentistry.
    I can be ready to take a large format image in five minutes if I actually planned out beforehand what I'm doing, ten if I don't. I think that portrait sitters would revolt if it took half an hour to an hour. Hehe.

Like, right now I'm in the process of preparing to do this awesome family portrait project to ready myself for a larger one. It'll be done completely using the Speed Graphic, and the images will be taken mostly outside, though *some* inside, in landscape format. I'm playing around with a weird lens, so I'm wanting to put it through its paces to see what it can do. I have to do these quickly, so I'm going to set everything up in my backyard and go from there. Will I get weird glances from the neighbors? Yes. I'm hoping they'll be curious enough to come out and let me take their picture, too! Heh.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm

Advantages of 35mm over MF/LF

I haven't got LF...yet!
    BUT...I have 30-odd 35mm cameras and one MF...I rarely use 35mm nowadays unless I'm shooting fast action stuff where autofocus and fast shutter are handy, or when I need something compact because I'm not on a photo trip but don't want to be without a camera.
    Also occaisionally just because a Contflex or a Bessamatic can be fun to shoot with...

So...motorsports and action, 35mm. Everything else MF.
    LF when I get my hands on one!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't think that is practical in action at all. Prior to docking the camera on the tripod, it is common to walk around eyeing the subject (with any format camera).....
    Director's viewfinder comes handy regardless format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    I haven't got LF...yet!
    BUT...I have 30-odd 35mm cameras and one MF...I rarely use 35mm nowadays unless I'm shooting fast action stuff where autofocus and fast shutter are handy, or when I need something compact because I'm not on a photo trip but don't want to be without a camera.
    Also occaisionally just because a Contflex or a Bessamatic can be fun to shoot with...

So...motorsports and action, 35mm. Everything else MF.
    LF when I get my hands on one!!!
    You know, a single 8x10 camera takes the place of more than 50 35mm cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the thing is that, depending on what type of photography you want to do, there's a camera for you. There's no reason to feel tied in to any one format. Explore them all and settle on the one that gets you the results you desire. You can take good photographs with *any* of this equipment; what matters more than the camera itself is that you're there to do it.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin