Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,929   Online: 1103

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    agw

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing 35mm isn't good at is producing large negatives. Apart from that, there's something for every occasion, given the wide variety of 35mm gear available. Fast AF and motor drive for action, light&compact for travel, whatever; you name it - it's there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Higher shutter speeds, built in (spot) meter, AF. Of course, some MF cameras have these features too (Contax 645, Rollei 6008AF), but they are rare and expensive. Most 35mm are smaller and lighter, though there are some really compact MF cameras too. For most 35mm systems, there are also fast lenses available that can´t be had in MF/LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the hasselblad system is like a black hole that eventually sucks very photographer in at least once, and never let's them go again. i love mine. it's also the one my kids are interested in as far as inheritance goes. go figure. i brought them up right anyway. who knew?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like 35mmm because I can send a roll off and get beautiful 4x6 back.

Shooter
    35mm
    A serious scanner for 135 is affordable while a serious scanner for 120 is difficult to find and very expensive to buy.

You can walk with two or three 135 bodies without trailing a cart.

You can always have a compact 135 camera with you. There is no Minox, Rollei 35 or Yashica T3 in MF.

You can take 38 pictures without changing roll (the light or the occasion changes just while you are changing the roll, but that nuisance happens much more often with MF).

You can take pictures without appearing "professional" when you need not to draw attention.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    You can always have a compact 135 camera with you. There is no Minox, Rollei 35 or Yashica T3 in MF.
    The Bessa II and Ikonta can always be with you. I sometimes wish there was some stretch-format 127. I think that could have been really cool. A vest pocket folder is convenient.

But to stay on topic and point out where 35mm has the advantage... These spring cameras have their "bellows" which introduces dust that must be retouched on negative. And that requires a microscope. They also are hard to find filters/lenshoods for. And they need accessories like filters and lenshoods because I am shooting black and white and fighting flare.

35mm bodies rarely introduce flare in the optical path. The chambers of 35mm are pretty well baffled and flocked. Lenses too, for the most part, offer better freedom from flare. (Compared to the vintage systems, not Hasselblad).

35mm bodies have more reliable shutter speeds than the vintage folding cameras too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that 120 is harder to deal with.

I can process negatives easily using a dark cupboard (I just covered all the light leaks in a large cupboard with duct tape on the inside, it isn't big enough for an enlarger but a roll of film, the dev tank and I will fit with no problems). However, the enlarger I have doesn't handle 120 film and attempting to scan it with a flatbed scanner was something of a dead loss, with weird colour casts and huge files which were very time consuming to do anything with.

I'm now thinking in terms of making a support frame to hold 120 negatives flat, so that I can put them on the front of a softbox and "scan" them with my DSLR and a macro lens on a tripod. If I ever see a broken 120 film back going cheaply I may well buy it and see if I can turn it into something like those little slide viewers - swap the pressure plate for a piece of ground glass and a light source behind it.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The Bessa II and Ikonta can always be with you. I sometimes wish there was some stretch-format 127. I think that could have been really cool. A vest pocket folder is convenient.

But to stay on topic and point out where 35mm has the advantage... These spring cameras have their "bellows" which introduces dust that must be retouched on negative. And that requires a microscope. They also are hard to find filters/lenshoods for. And they need accessories like filters and lenshoods because I am shooting black and white and fighting flare.....
    The true Voigtländers 6x9 Bessa RF, I and especially II are engineered so good that unless there are pinholes on the bellows.. dust is simply not an issue.
    35mm shutter speeds are hardly more reliable than vintage MF folders, there aren't many reliable technicians to set them right, thou.
    Last edited by georg16nik; 10-06-2012 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I was wondering how many advantages 35mm has over MF/LF, such as depth of field, rapid change of position for composition and perspective, quick recognition and exposure, unobtrusive action, to name but a few. Perhaps others could add to this list?
    When I'm using one of my Nikons, the number of mind-numbingly stupid questions I get asked is far fewer than when I use a 4x5 or 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agw View Post
    The only thing 35mm isn't good at is producing large negatives. Apart from that, there's something for every occasion, given the wide variety of 35mm gear available. Fast AF and motor drive for action, light&compact for travel, whatever; you name it - it's there.
    Yes!

I had to use large format for a couple years before I realised just what a great job 35mm does do!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin