Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,141   Online: 1120

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The misconception that 35mm cameras have more Depth Of Field than large format has been repeated so often that it is rarely disputed. However, in any format with equal angular coverage and image viewing distance, the DOF is determined only by the entrance pupil. For example, a 50mm lens at f/2 has identical DOF as a 8" lens at f/8. The small format does have an advantage in a faster shutter speed for DOF equal to the larger camera. The larger grain in 35mm cameras may also mask its DOF limitations. A large view camera has swings and tilts that give it the advantage of focus plane adjustment that are available only with expensive tilt and shift lenses on 35mm cameras. This can extend its apparent DOF.

Most of the reasons for preferring 35mm over larger formats also apply to preferring digital over 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Portability, ability to shoot more photos, stealth factor, wider range of affordable lenses.

However, more isn't always better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post

Most of the reasons for preferring 35mm over larger formats also apply to preferring digital over 35mm.
    Blasphemy!! When they come out with a DSLR which is compatible with my pre-Ai Nikkor lenses, is not battery dependent, is made without plastic, will be useable in 50 years, and gives me a negative I can stick in an enlarger - then I'll get a DSLR. It doesn't look good....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The misconception that 35mm cameras have more Depth Of Field than large format has been repeated so often that it is rarely disputed.
    It is Depth of Field for equivalent Field of View that is greater.
    80mm for 6x6 compared to 50mm for 135 format, etc.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    You can take 38 pictures without changing roll (the light or the occasion changes just while you are changing the roll, but that nuisance happens much more often with MF).
    Well, actually I can use my 250 exposure film back and get 250 frames without reloading.

The equivalent in medium format would be a 70mm back.

Advantages for 35mm are motor drives, fast lenses, lens options, cost of film, cost of equipment, size and handling.

Sports/action photography, travel, lower end are all areas where 35mm has the advantage.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Well, actually I can use my 250 exposure film back and get 250 frames without reloading.

The equivalent in medium format would be a 70mm back.

Advantages for 35mm are motor drives, fast lenses, lens options, cost of film, cost of equipment, size and handling.

Sports/action photography, travel, lower end are all areas where 35mm has the advantage.
    You can do that with 9" roll film and a Fairchild 9x9 aerial camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You can do that with 9" roll film and a Fairchild 9x9 aerial camera.
    How much does that weigh?
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    How much does that weigh?
    Well, the roll of film is about 40 lbs. I don't know for the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It is Depth of Field for equivalent Field of View that is greater.
    80mm for 6x6 compared to 50mm for 135 format, etc.
    Jim Jones actually was correct...50mm lens (2.1* frame height) on 135 format at f/2 focused at 100' has DOF zone of about 200'; 190mm lens (2.1* frame height) on 4x5 sheetfilm at f/8 focused at 100' also has DOF zone of about 200' !!!

It is just that most folks think of 'lens of same angle of view' at 'same f/stop', rather than at 'same aperture diameter (in mm)', when they shoot.

The comparison of 'DOF zone' is a rather simplistic comparison, however, as there is no consider of how OUT OF FOCUS the background will be, and that is related to the FL (greater FL = greater blur of the distant out-of-focus background)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Jim Jones actually was correct...50mm lens (2.1* frame height) on 135 format at f/2 focused at 100' has DOF zone of about 200'; 190mm lens (2.1* frame height) on 4x5 sheetfilm at f/8 focused at 100' also has DOF zone of about 200' !!!

It is just that most folks think of 'lens of same angle of view' at 'same f/stop', rather than at 'same aperture diameter (in mm)', when they shoot.

The comparison of 'DOF zone' is a rather simplistic comparison, however, as there is no consider of how OUT OF FOCUS the background will be, and that is related to the FL (greater FL = greater blur of the distant out-of-focus background)
    Right. Just talking about practical application of what Jim said. That is, DoF of a 100mm lens at 2.8 is the same whether it is on a 35mm camera or a 6x7 camera. But the 100mm on 6x7 is the 'normal' lens, while a 50mm on the 35mm camera is the 'normal'. So for equivalent FoV the 35mm camera will have greater DoF at a given f/stop. And that's what people should understand, not just that "35mm has more DoF".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin