Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,806   Online: 862

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Advantages of 35mm over MF/LF

I was wondering how many advantages 35mm has over MF/LF, such as depth of field, rapid change of position for composition and perspective, quick recognition and exposure, unobtrusive action, to name but a few. Perhaps others could add to this list?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    High speed motor drives. Wider range of lens, superwides to super teles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since i hike in, first off is the weight. My RZ67 is HEAVY, compared to my Nikon 35mms. Plus u have to set up the tripod, take exp
    reading, its a whole diff ballgame.
    Also u get 36 exp instead of 10. More lenses and assc. Way cheaper. Film more available. I just bought roll of 35 TriX at CVS drugs. They
    prob last carrried 120 in 1965 , if at all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm film is available in bulk rolls (B&W, at least.) That's always been a deal maker for me.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Beautiful grain. Sorry, but I like grain. I just printed a 11x14 of a scene from a few months ago on Ilford Fiber last night and the grain was subtle and beautiful. God did it come out well. Really makes you appreciate proper tool use.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Getting the shot or not getting the shot..but you already knew that, Clive Seriously, that relates mostly to LF though, as most MF cameras are pretty nimble (ok, not a Mamiya RB/RZ67 maybe). Oh, and yes, GRAIN! Grain is beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a double-take on this thread title thinking it was the recent one circulating about the advantages of medium format over 35mm.

I took a nice vacation trip a few months ago and must have had 4-35mm cameras and 3 medium format cameras and a big box of film for each format. Interestingly, I only shot a few frames of 6x6 at one event and the rest were made on 35mm (either slide film in my OM-2 or B&W in my ME Super). Now I'm trying to figure out why I didn't shoot more medium format. Was it because my 35mm cameras are faster, lighter and easier to use? Or was it because I figured most shots didn't warrant the larger negative size? A combination of both reasons? I don't know, but given the choice of the two formats, I chose 35mm so there must be some advantage to that format for was I was doing.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dispite the bulk and limitness of 120 film, I really like MF. I wouldn't give up my RB67 or Rolleiflex for anything.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: Advantages of 35mm over MF/LF

for the life of me can never make a decent print w 35mm...but mf no problem !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    for the life of me can never make a decent print w 35mm...but mf no problem !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    I share the opposite problem....
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin