Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 857

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Who shoot on auto film cameras?....Well, I like to "pick up my camera and go", without worrying whether the battery is charged up or not. Whilst I usually prefer all mechanical bodies, the batteries in my Nikon F90x last at least 6 months or so.
    When I was working professionally, the digi stuff was a nightmare of unreliability, with battery drain (even when not in use) the main problem. Even without drain, digi cameras eat up battery power like no film camera does. You could never be sure when your digi would suddenly run out of power.
    Also, whether it's a case of only 36 shots on a roll, I always work more slowly and carefully with film, usually resulting in better pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting responses - thanks. I guess it just boils down to that people like taking photographs, they like film, and these cameras are great tools and help you do what you like. For me, my enjoyment of photography has generally been wrapped up in my penchant for mechanical cameras - looking for a camera, buying it, using and fondling :-). I really think I need to find time to photograph more! I'm just waiting for the right moment (when I'm really GAS'ed) to order a Contax RX. But after using 167MT a few times, I wonder if I really should go that way. I was photographing in a French market in west Aveyron, France, and people noticed the whir and whine of the motor. When I used my old Konica T3 or Yashica FX3 (even with its 'clangy' shutter) I just felt more comfortable. I reckon I don't need an automatic power tool camera. Just been secretly hankering for one :-) Good to hear what fellow shooters take away from their cameras/tools.
    Contax / Yashica / Nikon / Konica / Fuji / Samsung / Bronica

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggi View Post
    I guess it just boils down to that people like taking photographs, they like film, and these cameras are great tools and help you do what you like.
    Great summary!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I personally can't give up three years of my life trying to read through an owner's manual as thick as
    a phone book just to try and figure out how many electronic options I have to turn off in order to
    make a camera actually take a picture. And I don't like looking through a viewfinder which resembles
    an airplane cockpit. If the camera needs a battery to operate, I don't want it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why? Because I can!

Seriously, some shoot digital, some shoot old. bulky ULF cameras, some shoot instamatic, some shoot polaroid, some shoot p&d 35mms and some shoot the latest and greatest analog monsters. When I'm out shooting an event nothing replaces my EOS 3/1V bodies. Sometimes you need the speed of the AF, the reliability, the ability to use the latest and greatest lenses and sometimes the hefty, bulky look of a "serious" SLR like a 1V with battery pack lets people know you mean serious business. Bad for street photography, great when moving people out of the way when you're officially photographing an event of sorts. And then there's stuff like advanced flash techniques which won't work with old manual cameras. Whenever I need a flash I really like a camera-/flash combination I can rely on 100%. Oh, and you mentioned burst rates. Well, I can get an EOS 1V for very little money and can shoot 10fps if need arises. Good luck finding a digital camera with the same burst rate at a similar price level (even when looking at the price tag these carried when they were new).
    Different jobs need different tools. There's a use for the latest and greatest as well as for something like my MF-Minoltas when I'm out going for a walk and don't want to lug all my gear around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggi View Post

So why do you use F6, F5...

…because none of the digital SLRs have an interchangeable viewfinder like the Nikon F5 does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old Canon F-1 n and automatic works 95% of the time. However, shooting in snow or backlight situations call for manual setting. I'll also use manual if I expose using the Zone System.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not?

It's rare but I do shoot my F100 in rapid fire mode from time to time. I don't hold my finger on the shutter like I would on digital but sometimes, I have a need to shoot 3 to 5 frames in very rapid succession. Just because digital is out doesn't diminish the usefulness of these fast film bodies that professionals relied on.

I really dislike this shoot more and get a few good one type shooting.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I can shoot any camera slowly and methodically, so more choices means, well, more choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because that's what I'm accustomed to shooting with. I learned photography on a T90. I still use one. Well, five, actually...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin