Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,849   Online: 970

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggi View Post
    On and off I research various cameras on the internet, and I've GAS'ed over Nikon F4/F5 (and read up on F6 and F100) as well some high-end Contax (RX mainly). I have a few 35mm cameras and all except Nikon F80 and Hexar AF are manual focus and mechanical (like the Nikon FM2n). The F80 doesn't partner FM2n too well because the former won't support the older lenses. So, I might pick up an F100 instead or an F4. But in this digital age, why get these fast, automatic film cameras? I'm not going to fire an F5 off at 8fps. Just use digital kit for that. For those of us who use film, it seems it should be more of a thai-chi type photography, mainly in B&W; enjoying the feel of the camera, honing your skills and understanding of exposure, and getting that film look we love. The Nikon F6 should be in nowhere-land - not much nostalgia attached to it and truly superseded by the digital revolution. I can see why you'd like to use the more recent film cameras - they are most likely more reliable, but one could also pick up Nikon FM3a, which went out of production in 2006.

So why do you use F6, F5, or other high-end film cameras such Minolta 7, 9 or Canon equivalent?
    I like my F3HP, it has all the features I need. Interchangable viewfinder, accurate viewfinder, 5fps film advance but like you said it's like 30 years old and may not be very reliable so I have my F5 it does pretty much the same as the F3 and it's much newer. As for the FM3a ?? I think it's way overpriced (although I did spend $2000 for the F5, still I think the FM3a is overpriced) and yet not having all the features I want. To me it's not as good as the F3 besides the fact that it's newer and not yet worn out.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I use 35mm for quick captures. And I break out my large format gear when I want to take total control of the process (short of making wet plates).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The features of the F6 etc. exist now, as they did when the camera was released. They certainly hold no appeal to me, but I get why people want that modernity, automation (when you want it), fast top shutter speeds etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love the auto bracketing of the n80.Put it in continuous mode and get 3 shots with one touch of the release button-great for testing film.You can buy the n80 now for around $30 and they're all reasonably new.Since it's a "little brother" to the f 100 I wouldn't mind one of those either!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thinking back to the 167MT vs RX dilemma, the RX, while not silent, is quieter than the 167. But they're all motor-driven SLRs in the end and will never be as quiet as a Rolleiflex. But if you like the Contax system, I highly recommend the RX. I had one for years, then offloaded it and my other Contax SLR gear to finish out a G2 and 21mm rangefinder outfit. Now I do find sometimes I need an SLR, so I added an RTS III when I found one at a price I couldn't resist.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's one very specific situation which nobody has mentioned yet: Parties.

A dark-ish room really isn't the best place to use a manual camera, especially as people won't hold still while you get the settings right. Plus there's the cost of replacing kit - for a friend's 30th I used a Pentax SF7 which cost me £7 on ebay and a £10 50mm lens (which I cleaned a small mushroom farm out of). A bit less than the £50 or so it costs for a good KX or MX now (or even more for a K2). I'm not buying a cheap digital compact for this as the images from a roll of Ilford Delta 3200 in a decent camera will beat any comparably priced digicam, and I don't end up fighting with white balance, shutters which don't fire immediately, or AF hunting around with that stupid "face recognition" stuff. I just set the lens to f1.7, shutter to 1/60, then just focus and shoot when the light is on the subject. The noise really isn't audible over a PA system hammering out The Jam at 11.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The features of modern high end pro film cameras are great. Full automation does allow for more time to consider what is in the viewfinder and less time fiddling with controls. High speed motor drives, autofocus and image stabilization have allowed us to take fantastic pictures of birds in flight and kids playing.

I just don't care.

I like to use what 50 years of experience has given me with a camera, where I don't really need an exposure meter ( except where it inspires confidence ), I can focus fast enough on the things I actually want to focus on all by myself, I know how to hold a telephoto reasonably steady and I can set the film speed all by myself.

Anyone who has enjoyed posting on APUG for a few years will likely have these basic skills, so I contend that I'm not special.

I have an F4s, which I use occasionally when I want a motor drive, but overall I find I really like my ratty old Rolleiflex Automat best of all; it does exactly what I tell it to do, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Paul Goutiere; 10-08-2012 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    There's one very specific situation which nobody has mentioned yet: Parties.
    I may not have mentioned it directly but that is one of the places that fill flash is really great.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great discucssion everyone! Having recently acquired a hardly used F100 (and never having used an autofocus, motor drive and AE film camera previously), I find the experience refreshing. My normal machines are MF, (a 500c, a Fuji folder, an RB67 and a 645 Super among others) and the change to this kind of camera has helped my craft in street shooting as well as in still life. I'm not dropping my big mechanical monsters (or their outstanding image output for that matter) it's just that I love the craft of photography and the tremendous variety of tools that are available to the craftsman. Well, that's my 2 cents. Enjoy your new autofocus, auto exposure, etc....just keep shooting film!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Why shoot film on automatic, pro/high-end cameras?

It's great that you can buy those pro cameras for almost nothing this days. It's easier for people who started they adventure with photography from digital.
    I use F80 and F90 only because I have nikon DSLR but will be buying soon mf as well. It's just a tool, and if one can buy cheaply pro tools, why not.

Sent from my GT-P7100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin