Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,823   Online: 1140

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    haha, Mark -

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and suggestions! I may put it all on the list and see what the giver would choose;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if freestyle's arista film is on the list edu is fomapan and premium is tri-x . I'd hate to see the 2 mixed up as it could cause some hurt feelings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're not already developing your own then definitely ask for a Paterson tank, bag of D76 and bottle of rapid fixer (total $47 plus shipping); you'll need to get yourself a $20 darkbag off eBay too. Seriously, this is the best possible recommendation I can make: develop yourself if you are not.

A copy of Way Beyond Monochrome*, or Light: Science & Magic.

* ok, $60 - but we're flexible in our family with the $50 limit; we seem to have the same arrangement as you
    Last edited by polyglot; 10-08-2012 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Polaroid Colorpack II
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're not developing your own color film, give it a try. The basic C-41 or E-6 kit is about 20 USD. You can use a standard thermometer and tank available at Freestyle. I recommend E-6 to start with, because believe me, the first time you take a roll of slide film off the reel and look at all those tiny, beautiful little images... you'll feel magic. That's the only way to describe it.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    You just might be able to squeak by with a backup Nikkormat body with normal lens. It's a stretch but there actually are parts of the country where you could do this for $50. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not an accessory but i just bought a mint condition nikon N80 for $40. or else get some velvia 50 or 100 before prices hit the moon

Shooter
    35mm
    A nice looking Zeiss Compendium if you like books. A bellows. Extension tubes. A reversing ring. A two element close-up lens (or two) with the right filter size. A cable release. A slave flash unit. A focusing rail.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you again for the great ideas - I am intrigued by the thought of developing at home. It certainly would save money when compared to going to the local Custom B&W lab. In fact, I think this would make film much more affordable in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwreich View Post
    Thank you again for the great ideas - I am intrigued by the thought of developing at home. It certainly would save money when compared to going to the local Custom B&W lab. In fact, I think this would make film much more affordable in the future.
    I strongly urge you to do this, even if no one gets you the bits for Christmas. You should be able to get everything you need for basic daylight processing of 35mm and 120 for about $80 - see $47 list above, $20 for dark bag and $3 for digital aquarium thermometer off eBay. And you need some way of measuring stuff; the cheapest approach is plastic kitchen measuring-jugs and (for highly concentrated devs like Rodinal) a 50c syringe (no needle) from the pharmacy. Then you're all ready to go and will pay $0.50 per roll instead of $10 to $20 for processing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin