Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,233   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Do all Nikkor wides for 35mm have sloppy focus and rattle ??

Recently got a couple of wide angle lenses for my 35mm Nikon camera, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. My past experience with Nikon wide lenses has been that they lack much if any feel to the helical focus. They usually turn too easy with no feel to them. I thought it was because they were old and worn out.
    But, the ones I recently got are pre AI lenses still in their boxes with little or no use to them and the 24mm and 28mm still have that "no feel" helical to them. The little cheap 50mm E series lens actually has much more focus feel to it as does the old 35mm f/2.8 that I got. So, whats up with this?
    Anyone have any ideas or experience with older Nikon wides that feel good to focus without the slop ??
    thanks,
    Robert N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Recently got a couple of wide angle lenses for my 35mm Nikon camera, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. My past experience with Nikon wide lenses has been that they lack much if any feel to the helical focus. They usually turn too easy with no feel to them. I thought it was because they were old and worn out.
    But, the ones I recently got are pre AI lenses still in their boxes with little or no use to them and the 24mm and 28mm still have that "no feel" helical to them. The little cheap 50mm E series lens actually has much more focus feel to it as does the old 35mm f/2.8 that I got. So, whats up with this?
    Anyone have any ideas or experience with older Nikon wides that feel good to focus without the slop ??
    thanks,
    Robert N.
    Yes, every one I've ever owned or handled. That is, 20/3.5 Nikkor UD, 28mm/3.5 Nikkor H, 35/2 Nikkor O. No slop, just enough drag to give a good feel. I did regrease the 35 because the old grease was very stiff. All these are fluted fucussing ring pre Ai lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used the following AI or AI'd wideangle lenses and they all felt great:

24/2.8
    28/2.0
    28/3.5

Edit: also the 28/2.8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "That is, 20/3.5 Nikkor UD, 28mm/3.5 Nikkor H, 35/2 Nikkor O. No slop, just enough drag to give a good feel. "

That's the thing, mine don't have enough drag to feel like the focus is under control. You'd think since they are the old lenses with fluted focus ring lenses that they'd be too stiff from dried grease but these are not that way.

Probably cost more then they're worth to have some one thicken up the grease.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    "That is, 20/3.5 Nikkor UD, 28mm/3.5 Nikkor H, 35/2 Nikkor O. No slop, just enough drag to give a good feel. "

That's the thing, mine don't have enough drag to feel like the focus is under control. You'd think since they are the old lenses with fluted focus ring lenses that they'd be too stiff from dried grease but these are not that way.

Probably cost more then they're worth to have some one thicken up the grease.
    I wonder if someone hasn't already been at them? Those old Nikkors are some of the nicest feeling lenses ever, up there with Leica R stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience with Nikkors is that they get looser with age (less stiff), not tighter. It cost me about $100 (if memory serves me correctly) to have one overhauled a few years ago and it came back feeling like brand-new. Since it is a lens I rely on for real use it certainly was worth the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    My experience with Nikkors is that they get looser with age (less stiff), not tighter. It cost me about $100 to have one overhauled a few years ago and it came back feeling like brand-new. Since it is a lens I rely on for real use it certainly was worth the cost.
    Jesus, I should start a sideline....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might not be remembering exactly right, but it wasn't inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK... I was totally wrong. Found the receipt. $50 to overhaul lens at a Nikon Authorized Serice center.

You could probably still turn a profit if you go into that business!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    OK... I was totally wrong. Found the receipt. $50 to overhaul lens at a Nikon Authorized Serice center.

You could probably still turn a profit if you go into that business!
    Yeah, my "overhead" would be another workbench and some shelves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin