Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,908   Online: 1152

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's not my eyes that I'm concerned about

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    How would we see through the vest? I'd be more worried about getting that eye cancer that travels immediately to the brain.
    Gotta shield the Family jewels
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    How would we see through the vest? I'd be more worried about getting that eye cancer that travels immediately to the brain.
    It is illegal to put radioactive glass in eyepieces of optical instruments.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not currently breeding... so eyesight is more important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Gotta shield the Family jewels
    Wanna buy some lead lined boxer shorts
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My son works in the nuclear industry and he tells me the dosage of radiation allowed for workers is rated in bananas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose, and that many items in the home like Brazil nuts, marble kitchen unit counter tops, and green Vitrolite bathroom tiles are radioactive but not to a level to cause concern.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    On some of these lenses, most of the radiation comes from the rear elements. Are these radioactive lens that much sharper?

https://www.youtube.com/user/uyt384
    I little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
    Background, I have BS and MS degrees in Nuclear Engineering as well as having worked and managed all areas of Commercial Nuclear Power including Health Physics.
    The device shown, Inspector EXP has a limit of 300,000 Counts per Minute(CPM) or 100mr/Hr.
    Now one would not want to live in a 100mr/Hr radiation field but it would take over 4500 hours of continuous whole body exposure at 100 mr/Hr to reach the LD/50 or Lethal dose to 50% of the individuals exposed without any medical intervention.
    The video seems impressive but the levels measured don't appear to excede 10,000 CPM or further factor of 300 less exposure. So a little noise makes what is in reality very low readings seem very impressive.
    But there is more, the different organs of the body have different sensitivities to radiation, the lens of the eye being particularly more sensitive. Any beta(electrons) or Alpha(Helium nuclei) particles will be stoped by the body of the camera from reaching the eye leaving us to contend with Gamma(High energy Photons or light) particles.
    At the levels this device appears to be measuring and the usage factor, I would not have any worries.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in grad school I worked in a lab and used a radiation counter. The detector assembly was enclosed in 2 inches of lead. One day a friend came in with his cup of coffee and set the cup down beside the counter. The cup was a cheap knockoff of Fiestaware made in Mexico and was orange in color. The counter went wild. Seems the cup had a uranium glaze and the manufacturer did not use depleted uranium. He stopped using the cup.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even the real Fiesta (orange) was radioactive, not just cheap knockoffs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    he also said that it wasn't much more than that emitted by bananas, or Brrazil nuts,
    Both bananas and Brazil nuts are high in potassium. 40K is radioactive decaying mostly by emission of a beta particle. Fortunately for us it has a very long half-life of 1.2×109 years. Still each of us experiences about 4500 events/s from the potassium in the body.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-12-2012 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wear your lead vest when using these lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    ...Seems the cup had a uranium glaze and the manufacturer did not use depleted uranium. He stopped using the cup.
    Depleted uranium wouldn't help much. The uranium part of depleted uranium is still uranium, and the depleted part isn't uranium any more.

What they were using was that wonderful yellow powder called yellow cake as a base for the color. Obviously something red added to get orange.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin