Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,813   Online: 859

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somehow I've ended up with 4 X- bodies (3 working), maybe 8 lenses and 2 drives. They just seem to reproduce themselves. The latest is a new-in-box X-370 that is running through it's first roll, ever. For being the lower-end of the series, it has some nice features. The shutter speed change is the easiest I've ever used in a manual 35mm.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope you get your XE-7 sorted out. As far as I know, the XE-7 has the smoothest film advance that I have experienced!

If you don't already have it -> XE-7 Brochure

Also, Minolta glass is very underrated - great price + great performance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Les - what a great find!!

I'd like the paper version and a manual (have a .pdf manual already) as i have paper manuals and brochures for all my other Minolta cameras. I'm keeping a squeaky budget these days so i'll have to wait on the paper versions... Gotta love Rokkor glass!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    fantastic build quality. I bought one maybe 2 years ago from a local film camera swap for $25. It ended up needing its light meter checked out and underwent a $100 repair. I ended up selling it. Had too many other cameras.

The new owner was thrilled to have came across it on craigslist and did not haggle at all. Boyhood dream camera, I guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I hope you get your XE-7 sorted out. As far as I know, the XE-7 has the smoothest film advance that I have experienced!

If you don't already have it -> XE-7 Brochure

Also, Minolta glass is very underrated - great price + great performance!
    BTW Les, that's a *beautiful* Collection of the top Minolta manual-advance, manual focus cameras. Do you have a preference? Also, nice to see that MC Rokkor-X f1.2 where it rightfully belongs - that's also a superb collection of Rokkor glass as well!!! THanks so much for sharing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    The XE-7 is a great camera - I love mine - but this winder issue gives me pause for thought. The wind mechanism of the XE-7 is very solid and smooth, not prone to problems - one of the best ever on a 35mm camera.
    I had one with the same issue which was fixed with a service. Old lube usually in the clutch gums up which does not allow spring tension to return the lever to the rest position..

If the problem is not something simple (and it could very well be) a pristine XE-7 would, in my humble opinion, be worth a professional repair/CLA.
    This model is in fact well worth getting serviced....

Make sure the battery (CR1/3N Lithium) is in good shape and the battery contacts are clean and shiny, as this camera is battery-reliant and a weak battery could be hanging up the release mechanism. Good luck - you're really going to enjoy this camera.

Mike
    Weak or dead battery will not cause a hangup with the advance lever since it is mechanical...
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I saw this one on eBay and thought about getting it but decided not to since I have 2 bodies already.. The XE-7 is a fine camera and well worth investing in. Another favorite of mine is the XD-11. It is smaller and quieter but needs MD lens in order to be used in shutter preferred mode but works fine in manual or aperture preferred mode with MC lens....
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post
    I saw this one on eBay and thought about getting it but decided not to since I have 2 bodies already.. The XE-7 is a fine camera and well worth investing in. Another favorite of mine is the XD-11. It is smaller and quieter but needs MD lens in order to be used in shutter preferred mode but works fine in manual or aperture preferred mode with MC lens....
    Thanks leicarfcam! I'm glad you passed this one by as i now have a nearly new XE-7 for an excellent price!!

There were 11 auction visitors before me and you must have been one of those. I bought the camera pretty much right after i saw it. It arrived today is indeed immaculate - it looks new aside from some very light scratches on the bottom plate. Everything else looks essentially untouched - like it just came out of the box and plastic for the 1st time. For the $35 i paid (including shipping) i love it!!!

I've been able to get the film advance lever functioning about 85% of the time, but realize i'll need to add some lube to the works. Also, the shutter release isn't functioning accurately so i guessing i'll need to send it off for a CLA.

Comparing this XE-7 to my EXC+ condition XD-11 (which has been CLA'ed and a new GripTac leatherette), the XE-7 is a better fit for me. It has the same smoothness to the advance and shutter release as the XD-11 and a physical form factor like my SRT series cameras. I will definitely need to become better familiarized with the metering on the XE-7, but i vastly prefer the needle metering to the LED's on the XD series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    Thanks leicarfcam! I'm glad you passed this one by as i now have a nearly new XE-7 for an excellent price!!

There were 11 auction visitors before me and you must have been one of those. I bought the camera pretty much right after i saw it. It arrived today is indeed immaculate - it looks new aside from some very light scratches on the bottom plate. Everything else looks essentially untouched - like it just came out of the box and plastic for the 1st time. For the $35 i paid (including shipping) i love it!!!

I've been able to get the film advance lever functioning about 85% of the time, but realize i'll need to add some lube to the works. Also, the shutter release isn't functioning accurately so i guessing i'll need to send it off for a CLA.

Comparing this XE-7 to my EXC+ condition XD-11 (which has been CLA'ed and a new GripTac leatherette), the XE-7 is a better fit for me. It has the same smoothness to the advance and shutter release as the XD-11 and a physical form factor like my SRT series cameras. I will definitely need to become better familiarized with the metering on the XE-7, but i vastly prefer the needle metering to the LED's on the XD series.
    if this camera is as prestine as you describe it then, yes, it needs a service -- send it to essex, they'll do you a fine job. A camera that is this prestine needs a service more than one that has been used because use keeps a camera loose longer -- it is the mint ones that don't work, but once they're service you have a lifetime of use ahead of you.

I just bought a leica M4 that is so used the chrome is worn shiny near the film advance, but it was service 5 years ago by Leica and is a thing of beauty, and still works flawlessly.

congrats.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    BTW Les, that's a *beautiful* Collection of the top Minolta manual-advance, manual focus cameras. Do you have a preference? Also, nice to see that MC Rokkor-X f1.2 where it rightfully belongs - that's also a superb collection of Rokkor glass as well!!! THanks so much for sharing.
    I am still in the exploratory phase so as far as preferences are concerned I believe there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin