Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

OK Minoltians, advise me please b/c i just bought

a Minolta XE-7 from that big auction site!!!! Total price was $35.35 and it looks to be, cosmetically, EXCELLENT!!! Add in the new seals and some very light surface (not through the paint) scratches on the bottom plate and NO BRASSING anywhere - for $35.35 - i think i got a deal!!!!

I've been blathering on about an XE-7 for some time and finally found a great deal on one.

The only reservation i have is that "the advance lever sticks forward most of the time when its cocked". This seems to me like a fairly small problem. The auction also mentioned "when you tap it forward several times it frees up & returns" so i'm hopeful it's only some small bits of broken film that need to be cleaned out, but any insight from fellow Minoltians would be super helpful....

I have a great stable of Minolta MC/MD Rokkor/Rokkor-X lenses to partner this camera with as well as *several* SRT and XD series cameras. This really is the last 35mm camera i'll buy and am hopeful the problem is easily sorted without having to send it off to John Titterington. Yes, said that before and then came several XD's in various models, but since i'm really only into SLR's and i've had an example from about every other Minolta SLR series, i'm pretty sure this is gonna be the last 35mm.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Get a backup body, either an SRT or X series. Lenses are dirt cheap, in some cases cheaper than the M42 ones. You seem to have a deal here. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You claim you can stop. But you know it's not true.

We all say it.

Some day you will end up living in a dumpster, surrounded by your mountain of non-working Minolta 35mm bodies.

Drinking fixer.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    You claim you can stop. But you know it's not true.

We all say it.

Some day you will end up living in a dumpster, surrounded by your mountain of non-working Minolta 35mm bodies.

Drinking fixer.
    What rubbish! You'll be living in a dumpster, surrounding by your mountain of working Minolta 35mm bodies. Drinking fixer.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    What rubbish! You'll be living in a dumpster, surrounding by your mountain of working Minolta 35mm bodies. Drinking fixer.
    Oh, no. They all started with working bodies. But they weren't enough. Pretty soon you start buying UG from KEH, thinking they'll be out of stock and you'll get bumped up to EX+. Then it's "I found it in my grandad's attic, I know nothing about cameras..." from craigslist. From there, it's a downward spiral... He'll have to hit bottom before he'll ask for help.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tooo funny!!! Yea, i've hit bottom before and my SPONSOR is regularly updated RE: any camera and/or photographic purchases i make

I currently have an XD-11, an XD-5 (needs to go see John Titterington), 2x SRT202's (1 i bought from John and the 2nd needs to visit him) and an SRT102.

I'm looking for tips specific to the XE-7 and anxious to read if anyone is willing to share their experience with an XE-7.

I've had a couple X-700's and a couple XG Series, but have sold/gave them away as i've walked this Minolta Journey.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that we have, collectively, discovered the new 'drunk', or 'high'. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, you know you have a problem, when you pause, and think, now how many Minolta bodies do I presently have?
    I think the answer for me is 6, at the moment, with all but one working completely.
    I buy and swap and give them away, so the answer is always a moving target.

The most recent three arrived as part of an estate auction lot buy, where I attend in person to buy stuff I don't need while waiting for stuff I do have a legitimate use for to come onto the block.
    6 cameras, 8 lenes and other bits for I think about $25.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The XE-7 was the first camera I ever bought new. I still have vague memories of opening the package from B&H - at that was many years ago. A serious mechanical camera - big, heavy and robust. Basic by today's standards with one metering mode and (IIRC) manual and aperture priority exposure. I think I had it for about 10 years without a hiccup.

I believe same mechanical design as one of the Leica SLRs. I prefer the XDs to the XEs as they provide more flexibility and are a bit lighter. But always a sweet spot for the XE-7.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    The XE-7 is a great camera - I love mine - but this winder issue gives me pause for thought. The wind mechanism of the XE-7 is very solid and smooth, not prone to problems - one of the best ever on a 35mm camera. If the problem is not something simple (and it could very well be) a pristine XE-7 would, in my humble opinion, be worth a professional repair/CLA. Make sure the battery (CR1/3N Lithium) is in good shape and the battery contacts are clean and shiny, as this camera is battery-reliant and a weak battery could be hanging up the release mechanism. Good luck - you're really going to enjoy this camera.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin