Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,321   Online: 1055

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Haha, I misunderstood you. When someone says "F System", I think Nikon.

The lenses are approximately the same size, yes? That makes it a mechanical issue, not an optical one. That was my main point. The central shutter takes up space, and the physical size of a fast MF lens with a central shutter would be unwieldy. It's got nothing to do with the optics.
    It is a mechanical issue which puts a constraint on the optical design. You can't increase the lens aperture without taking into account the iris max diameter. No similar trouble with a focal plane shutter, you can do whatever you want, the only limitation being the bayonet diameter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Pioneer, the 'endurance' value of the K1000 was in its engineering simplicity. I have taken enough cameras apart to attest to that merit. - David Lyga
    They seemed to suffer from bad meters tho.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    I have three Miranda Autosensorex EEs. Two are chrome and one is black. My Miranda and Soligor lenses include 28, 35, 50, 135, 200 and 80-200. The EE is the camera I nearly bought in 1971. I was intrigued by the removable finder. It was a big decision for someone so young but I decided on a Konica Autoreflex T2 with the 57/1.4 silver and black Hexanon with the EE lock pin. By now in my years of collecting I have many of the other cameras which were sold in 1971: Canon FTb, Minolta SRT-101, Pentax Spotmatic II, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F2, Canon F-1. The Miranda EE has a fairly dim viewfinder and its overall finish is not up to the level of the other cameras I mentioned. It is capable of good results for someone who has the patience to use it. The lenses are decent. I have both f/1.8 an f/1.4 standard lenses. These are probably better than the other focal length lenses. When I figure out what waist level finder fits the EEs I will get one. I would also like to find a nice EE2.

Shooter
    35mm
    From observation of my KM and K1000 the metering is indeed a bit confused, but I think it's due to the film speed selector rather than the meter proper. The KM was spot on when I squirted a bit of lighter fuel in there but went bad again as it evaporated, making me think that it's dirt or poor contact. I've also had MXs (same design) where the meter reads wildly at the slowest shutter speeds - presumably as these are so seldom used that dirt builds up at the end of the normally-used conductive track.

The KX uses a completely different setup with the film speed dial under the rewind crank, like the other M series bodies, Super A, Program A, A3000, etc. While I've had an ME Super which consistently overexposed by two stops (squirt of alcohol-based cleaner, turned the control a bit, problem solved) it seems less common for this design to pick up gunge.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Pioneer, the 'endurance' value of the K1000 was in its engineering simplicity. I have taken enough cameras apart to attest to that merit. - David Lyga
    Oh I do agree with you there. Engineering simplicity, wide tolerances and the wonderfully forgiving latitude of color and black & white negative film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, Pioneer, Pentax (and Minolta) made things to really last. And they also made their lenses easy to deconstruct and clean and repair.

Canon, on the other hand, was kind of unduly complex, engineering-wise, and more things could go wrong. But I an not knocking Canon: they are amongst the best, but, simply, have not reduced their products to the 'lowest possible denominator' without sacrifice to quality. Their FD mount is a nightmare to take apart and put back together again. And there is really no reason for that overkill. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    My first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, was very unreliable when brand new. I doubt if it has improved with age.
    I have the same camera. Works okay, but depending on where you set the meter (which is non-functional in mine) it will lock you out of the higher/lower shutter speeds unless you trip a hard-to-press button. It's also very clunky to hold. I can't speak much to the rest of it, as mine is a flea-market buy.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first 35mm SLR was a Praktica LTL. It never faltered, even after bouncing off a sidewalk, a spill which took a chunk off the bottom cover. It still works, although the lens diaphragm is sluggish. Leaf shutter SLRs a different matter. I have a Komaflex S 127 SLR which needs work, the diaphragm doesn't close. Estimates are in the $200 range, hardly feasible for a camera which, while pleasant, doesn't warrant that kind of money since 127 film is almost extinct.

A "bad" camera. I was given a Canon T50. This little beast is fully automatic exposure, all the user can select is film speed and selftimer. There is an underexposure warning in the VF, which by the way is pretty good. The interchangeable lens is a 50mm f1.8 seems pretty good. Now, get this. From all I can tell the ONLY flash compatible with it is a wimpy 2 AA unit, the 244T, offering automated use for ... ISO 100 and 400 films only! The camera, by contrast, can set ISO 25 to 1600. What was Canon thinking....

Now, this may be a reliable machine. I've run a roll of BW through it and it gave good results. But it is a dead end, unlike the Pentax K-1000 or any number of other, basic cameras, including...the Praktica LTL.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Petri may be worse of the lot. Petri etween propriety mount and M42, I have nopt seen an example of an 35 SLR in good working order in years. Lens seem to be ok. Petri range finders seem to be more robust and with decent optics.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know I'll take some heat for this but, the very first generation Minolta Maxxum cameras. I know, they were the first effective auto-focus cameras. But the ergonomics suck, and the autofocus is LOUD and not particularly fast or precise. Same with the mirror operation. Eventually it does lock in, but it hunts a lot in anything other than bright sunshine. Today there are much better options for a beginner.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin