Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,517   Posts: 1,645,482   Online: 1250

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to film

Shooter
    Multi Format

New to film

Film can be so diverse and analog cameras are so cool (and affordable) that it is easy to get a case of the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and I get pulled down that path too frequently ;-) So be strong and try to resist the urge and try to have one camera and a couple of films that are what are your bread and butter for the time being.

I find film, especially bw, has a great latitude. I have just got back to printing again and am loving it, but for scanning I do it at16 bit and then adjust before making a jpeg. When I returned to film I took a hybrid mode (just scanning for the first bit) which is a great way to step in to it. Even if you are getting an enlarger soon, it

Shooter
    Multi Format

New to film

Oops, I did not finish, darned iPhone ;-)

I was going to say, if you are getting in to it, I think it is not bad to get stuff into the digital workflow if you are used to that world. Not to say you should not go totally old skool :-) but I liked moving between both worlds when I was getting back into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chimping with film is commonly called bracketing, and there is nothing abnormal or hard about it.
    The Elan II (I thin that's the EOS 5 in some markets?) has exceptionally capable evaluative metering and will not need prompting to land exposures correctly, assuming you don't have exposure compensation set or the wrong ISO (both are adjustable and useful in bracketing, remember!?).

CF (or Cf) is custom function: Eos 1, 1N, 1NRS, HS, 5 and 3 all have custom functions. I suggest you leave these at the factory/default settings until you come to grips with how well the camera handles exposure without additional adjustments, but custom functions can be viewed as "creature comforts", but they also do change the way the camera behaves e.g. transposing dials etc.

Begin the move now into hybridisation of your workflow; that is to say, analogue to digital. It is a very valuable skill especially when colour printing is rarely done in wet darkrooms now. But stick with film and the lasting quality it provides and forget about the negative effects of "chimping" (bracketing, remember!?).

Shooter
    35mm
    I always thought chimping came from the act of taking a picture with a digital camera and looking at the screen and going "ooh" thus sounding like a chimp.

There are some Custom Functions on my elan that are creature comforts such as: Auto rewind speed "fast or quiet," film leader in or out, etc. There are some CF's that are very useful to me like being able to set a set button" the * for canon users" so I can set the * button to Auto Focus, and the half pressed shutter will meter light. I like to have my camera setup for the back focus button to allow me to do a quick focus and allow me to adjust my focus manualy without my camera re-focusing. Also the * button can be set to AF and DOF preview.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understand it, "chimp" comes from "check image"

My best advice? Take detailed notes, and then compare the notes you take with the results you obtain.

And have fun!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG. Go to your local library and look up some old books on film.

Jeff
    +1 for books. Great photo books at good prices are easy to find at www.abebooks.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a relief for me as non-native speaker, to see native speakers being puzzled by their own colloquialisms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    As I understand it, "chimp" comes from "check image"

My best advice? Take detailed notes, and then compare the notes you take with the results you obtain.

And have fun!
    "check image please"
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    CHeck IMage Preview
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Matt, Is this your idea of note taking?
    I went out last night and picked up a 3 pack of moleskin journals. Along with my normal photography journal of general rules, camera cf functions, ideas, websites, etc, my moleskin will record when where and what my camera was set to for that exposure along with year, roll and frame.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin