Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,415   Online: 1070

Shooter
    35mm

FA ideal point, focus, shoot for b&w?

I've been wondering. My collection of compact F's; FM2n, FE2, FM3A and FA requires some reflection.

I've decided the FA with the 2.0/35 Ai-S and Tri-X is the perfect walkabout film slr combo. It can take a few knocks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTime View Post
    I've been wondering. My collection of compact F's; FM2n, FE2, FM3A and FA requires some reflection.

I've decided the FA with the 2.0/35 Ai-S and Tri-X is the perfect walkabout film slr combo. It can take a few knocks.
    That's interesting, right now I have with me an F, 35/2.0 NIkkor-O, and some Tri-X, setting exposure with a LunaSix. It's been my out & about street combo for a few years. I keep it far away from knocks, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think (My opinion) that the Nikon FA was one of the most underated of the non AF models. It had the same shutter as the FM2n and FE2 and a better metering system than either, if you used the right lenses. I don't really know why it never was more popular, perhaps it was just a step to far, or not far enough to distinguish itself away from the FE2.

Shooter
    35mm
    Back when the FA was the new kid in town! I had started out with the F2AS and then bought the F3HP for an inexpensive motor drive. I would at that time seriously considered buying an FM2 or FE2 as secondary camera. The FA was never considered. It's price was close to that of the F3 and it doesn't have the built nor speed of the F3 (I am talking frame per second and not the 1/4000 shutter speed). I have never used shutter speed above 1/1000. The FA has a confusing information display, primarily because it has too many to display and not enough mean to do it. The matrix meter was interesting but I had doubt. I didn't know whether I was right until 2002 when I bought my F5 and found that its matrix meter kept underexpose my negative and not by a constant. I had the FA used recently for about a few weeks. I sold it. I wasn't wrong when I decided back in the 80's that the FA wasn't for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchased one for my wife thinking it would be easy to use, however, she only used it once or twice. I tried it and although it is a nice camera, way to many features for my simple brain. I just could not find any use for it and always found my self reaching for either my F3HP, EL, or FE. Still have the FA, like brand new. Perhaps I should try again and after using computers, smart phones, and such, will find it less complex.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't say the FA exposes less reliably than my other compact F's, although the rather crude matrix metering brings an element of unpredictability with, totally different from f.i. the D700's matrix metering, which appears idiot proof (the idiot being me). I was making some outdoor portraits last night in low light, standing format, and found myself wondering what the FA's exposure meter would make of it. I decided to stop worrying and let Tri-X's latitude take care of it.

I do find my FA's shutter sound a bit annoying; as if a spring is loose. The other ones sound more solid, and the FM3A's additional mirror damping is noticeable.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FA I had made the typical 80s MF Nikon tch-clack noise. There's a secondary mirror for the metering cell that folds against the back of the main mirror that can make it sound kind of sloppy.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not a bad camera, but it's known for the main board going bad over time, and very costly to fix,if, you can find another one. Cheaper to buy another FA. I'm loving my FE-2 and Kiron 24mm f/2 glass as a walk-a-bout street shooter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin