Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 805

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    Keep in mind the OM and Nikon bodies don't handle the same way - the OM shutter speed adjustment is at the front of the body, at the lens mount, while the Nikon has the more traditional shutter speed dial on the top of the camera.
    Long before the OM1 was released, the Nikkormats had their shutter speed adjustments on the base of the lens mount. This start with the 1965 Nikon Nikkormat FT to the last FT3 (1977) shown below with the OM1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The OM-2 and OM-4 are useless without the battery.
    The OM4 is just like all the other aperture priority auto exposure capable bodies of Nikon - except for the FM3A, as it has 1/60 and B available when battery is exhausted. The Pentax LX and Canon New F1 have a useful range of shutter speeds available when battery is exhausted.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OM4 is pretty rugged -> OM4T/Ti crash test

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    I mean, everyone speaks so highly of the Sonnar because the bokeh is special (especially with rangefinder 50's) but the Sonnar bokeh doesn't seem so much better than the Planar bokeh, to me. The difference to me seems small. I haven't looked or seen negatives from the 105mm f2.5 so I'm not sure.
    Ah? I never find the "bokeh" given by my wartime Zeiss 1.5/50 being so special compared to other 50mm lenses so I don't really see what you are talking about. Back to the Nikkor 105mm, are you sure it is a Sonnar?

Shooter
    35mm
    Some people think that the Sonnar is magical, I guess you and I aren't one of those people.

The early 105mm f2.5 Nikkors were Sonnar's. I believe the non-ai.

I retract my comment.
    -Fast lenses seem to be more susceptible to bad bokeh.
    -Fast/long lenses sometimes obliterate the background too much for my liking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Long before the OM1 was released, the Nikkormats had their shutter speed adjustments on the base of the lens mount. This start with the 1965 Nikon Nikkormat FT to the last FT3 (1977) shown below with the OM1.

But Olympus and Nikon (with their Nikkormat) putting the shutter speed dial on the lens mount for different reason. Olympus put the dial there to save room to make the camera smaller. Nikon put it their because with the vertical travelled bladed shutter it's more direct to put it there. The Nikon F, F2 both had horizontal shutter. When Nikon made the FM with the vertical shutter they decided to put the shutter speed dial on top (just for the look) and had to use string and pulley to control the shutter. They were afraid that it would not last but the FM proved that it last quite well.

Shooter
    Multi Format

OM vs Nikon System

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Many things to consider, but i'm wondering..

does anyone have a size comparison between the zuiko and nikon lenses? I'm interested in a wide variety so whichever ones you got will do. I can probably fill in the rest. I'm in particularly interested in the two 28mm f2.0's. This focal length I care about the most.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351132433.190454.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	58855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351132443.148675.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	58856

Here are two 28mm f2s. One on a om4t the other on the f3hp. The nikkor has the correct hn1 hood. The olympus has a 49-52mm adapter and cannot use the original hoods. I don't find flare to be a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm going to come out and say it: I tend to regret selling my Nikon FE and 50mm Nikkor. Every single time I did it. I think I'm up to three times now. Reason? That bloody 50mm lens was better than any other lens I've ever come across. I loved it. The FE is a relatively small but very well built body (aka, dropped on the pavement and the Nikon won with just a small dent) and that lens? Yeah. I want it back. May buy another one at some point, but I'm sticking to medium and large format for now.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 10-24-2012 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Words are hard.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    Do not buy an OM-4T unless it has been upgraded. The early models eat batteries. If you can stretch to it, buy a mint, exe++,
    OM- 4Ti.
    The OM-4 is the one with high battery consumption.
    OM-4T and OM-4Ti are the same cameras, both with the upgraded electronics. Ti = Europe, T = US

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (franny wrote)...The Sonnar 105mm f2.5 is legendary, but to me, it seems that this lens might be a bit over-rated because it is a Sonnar and everything. I'm not sure.

It isn't overrated, it's one of the best lenses ever made for 35mm cameras. The later version is a Gauss type, and it isn't overrated either. Get one or the other and use it, then you'll have an opinion.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin