Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 736

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad that you chose Oly. I prefer mechanical bodies even though TTL/OTF(OM-2sp) is good to have but need constant supply of batteries and after a while I really loose motivation.

I would rather spend money on film/paper then on fast lenses. 28 f/2.8 or 28 f/3.5 is no bad lens at all to print on 8x10 inch paper.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    You have only mentioned prime lenses. However the Olympus 35/70 F3.6 constant apperture lens is just about the sharpest lens I HAVE EVER USED! Their quality is shown by how much they cost when new. In UK I doubt if you will find one which is perfect for less than £130. These lenses when they were being sold new were priced around the £300+ mark and this was perhaps 15 years ago. The other two version sold by Olympus the F3.5-4.5 and F4 constant were less than half that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How many times are you likely to use the 28mm f2 at its widest aperture?....Will it be enough to offset the inconvenience of having to cart around seperate size filters?.....As has already been mentioned the 2.8 version is far cheaper.....When I used Olympus I had 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8. A compact outfit with all the same size filters.

Are you aware that the mercury batteries that power the OM1's meter are no longer available in most countries?....There are alternative silver oxides available of slightly higher voltage, which can be used with a Wein Cell. since I don't use Olympus anymore I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Converting them to use Silver Oxide batteries should not be a problem for anybody who can CLA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    How many times are you likely to use the 28mm f2 at its widest aperture?....Will it be enough to offset the inconvenience of having to cart around seperate size filters?.....As has already been mentioned the 2.8 version is far cheaper.....When I used Olympus I had 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8. A compact outfit with all the same size filters.

Are you aware that the mercury batteries that power the OM1's meter are no longer available in most countries?....There are alternative silver oxides available of slightly higher voltage, which can be used with a Wein Cell. since I don't use Olympus anymore I cannot vouch for their accuracy.
    There is a company in UK called 'The small battery company. It sells an electronic device the same size as the old mercury cells into which you insert a 1.5v Silver oxide cell and this reduces the voltage to 1.3. Silver oxide are cheaper and last a lot longer than a more expensive Wein cell does. I think the UK price is about £29 or converted approx $42.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In UK there is one gentleman named Michael Spencer doing great service for OM's. He is also converting them to use 1.55v battery. All my OM-1s went were serviced by him.

Just for the info: http://www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Actually, the 28mm f2.0 Zuiko uses a 49mm filter, same as the standard lenses.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    There is a company in UK called 'The small battery company. It sells an electronic device the same size as the old mercury cells into which you insert a 1.5v Silver oxide cell and this reduces the voltage to 1.3. Silver oxide are cheaper and last a lot longer than a more expensive Wein cell does. I think the UK price is about £29 or converted approx $42.

You're quite right, I was confusing the "Wein Cell" for the adaptor you mention. Although I gave up on Olympus years ago, I'd be interested to hear if the above use of silver oxides with converter is satisfactory? (i.e. accurate)
    since other older cameras that previously used the mercury cells also need this conversion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 28 f2 can be had for a reasonable price if you are prepared to wait. I managed to get one from eBay for € 178,-- in very good condition, just a few days ago. It is a bit bigger than the 2.8, but still smaller than the 28/2.8 Distagon for C/Y for example.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Converting them to use Silver Oxide batteries should not be a problem for anybody who can CLA.
    And every OM1 *must* have a CLA anyway to get rid of deteriorated foam material between the prism and the housing. The light seals need to be replaced either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin