Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,515   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im a member of the buy a cheappie at the Godwill store camp. I bought kids a pile of P&S and zoom models for a buck apiece.I have a Pentax IQ zoom 140 that lives inmy car, bought it for a dollar. Its an amazing little camera. Have an Olympus trip 35 I bought for my daughter too.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i see the olympus stylus at the local thrift store on a regular basis. Nice little cameras for $2. That's inflated?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My kids sometimes use a Canon EOS300 35mm SLR (the film version - no D at the end). You can put it into "green mode" which makes it point and shoot - but if I want to use the camera then manual mode, aperture priority, and shutter priority are all available.

I paid £5 for the body and used existing prime lenses.

The children call it the "awesome camera" because in comparison with digital compacts, you can actually see what your composition on a sunny day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the holga will shoot more than 12frames with the insert ..
    box cameras are a no-brainer ...
    expired 120 film is cheap as dirt ...
    I forgot the Holga. I'd need to get my hands on a C41 kit, though, as processing for medium format around here is basically dead and all mail order.

For toy cameras, I have a Lex35 that I could let her shoot outside. Also THIS thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilorabella.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	58881

But I only have a few 127 rolls left and the film advance wheel is really turning hard so I have to help with that. I'm cleaning it up for her to use today.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    The mju II is an ideal size for a 5 year old's hands. It will also fit into his/her pocket as well. It is quite rugged and sealed to a reasonable extend against "the weather".

Fully auto gives instant success which is important for kids. If he/she loses interest then it is still a good carry around camera for use in instances where bigger cameras might be less manageable or less appropriate.

The plastic Kodak Brownie 127 looks like a "real camera" to a child and it is but it is a bit flimsy and maybe too big for a 5 year old's hands and with the demise of Efke are there any makers of 127 film left?

It also has a proper looking case which would fit around the childs shoulder so he/she can look like a proper photographer just like mum/dad.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The mju II is an ideal size for a 5 year old's hands. It will also fit into his/her pocket as well. It is quite rugged and sealed to a reasonable extend against "the weather".

Fully auto gives instant success which is important for kids. If he/she loses interest then it is still a good carry around camera for use in instances where bigger cameras might be less manageable or less appropriate.

The plastic Kodak Brownie 127 looks like a "real camera" to a child and it is but it is a bit flimsy and maybe too big for a 5 year old's hands and with the demise of Efke are there any makers of 127 film left?

It also has a proper looking case which would fit around the childs shoulder so he/she can look like a proper photographer just like mum/dad.

pentaxuser
    I don't think there's any other makers of 127. I haven't found any. Unless the Lomo people have some of the film left, getting more for the Bella is going to be a pain in my backside.

I have 7 rolls of Efke R100 left. Once those are gone, my Bella becomes nothing more than a conversation piece unless I cut down 120.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I don't think there's any other makers of 127. I haven't found any. Unless the Lomo people have some of the film left, getting more for the Bella is going to be a pain in my backside.

I have 7 rolls of Efke R100 left. Once those are gone, my Bella becomes nothing more than a conversation piece unless I cut down 120.
    For a child of that age, would not a digital camera make more sense?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Despite this forum being "APUG", I'd agree wholeheartedly. The immediacy of results is a great teaching tool and increases motivation for a child to see like a photographer. There is plenty of time for a 5 year old to learn exposure, etc. later in life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I'd rather go about this as a learning experience for her. I've let her use the DSLR (with AMAZINGLY CLOSE supervision), but this will be her first real introduction to any film process. She was too young the last time I had the cameras out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'd rather go about this as a learning experience for her. I've let her use the DSLR (with AMAZINGLY CLOSE supervision), but this will be her first real introduction to any film process. She was too young the last time I had the cameras out.
    And she still is.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin