Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,445   Online: 965

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax IQ zoom if you find one at a price you like. Decent prints from them and are rugged think construction site proof . A roofing company I used to work for used them for on site documentation. Let's just say guys who broke tools on a regular basis never broke one of these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I forgot the Holga. I'd need to get my hands on a C41 kit, though, as processing for medium format around here is basically dead and all mail order.

For toy cameras, I have a Lex35 that I could let her shoot outside. Also THIS thing:

Attachment 58881

But I only have a few 127 rolls left and the film advance wheel is really turning hard so I have to help with that. I'm cleaning it up for her to use today.
    steph

you can process 120 color film in b/w chemistry and get b/w negatives
    with a cast that can easily be removed with a modern device
    that is what i do now ... much easier ( and cheaper ) than mail order and
    dealing with a c41 kit ... i use caffenol c spiked with a wee bit of print developer
    it comes out fine ... YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format

Let's say you want a camera for a five year old...

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    And she still is.
    I would say I depends on the kid. My kids were shooting at about that age, now they were shooting both digi and film (disposable at the time) but they appreciated both. They liked the immediacy of digi but liked the specialness of getting prints from film (like a lot of people, my digital photos were seldomly printed). I am sure instant film is the perfect compromise, but my pockets whenever deep enough for that.

Your right that the stylus would be a good choice, but i understand that it can be a bit pricy these days, unless you find some score at a thrift store. But I think any of the stylus-like cameras will be good option. I liked my kids starting with fix focus lens, I think it was easier for them than farting about with a zoom.

When my daughter was about 8 she would take my DSLR from me. I was a lazy photographer at that point and it would handed back to me with auto exposure and facts turned off, haha.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    And she still is.
    However what she may not be too young for is seeing the negs( I recall that seeing what's white is black and vice versa was wondrous) and watching a print develop in a tray. Under good supervision she can even claim some ownership of the process.

Even at that age I would not underestimate the "I made this" factor" and being part of a physical process requiring the use of hands

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analogue is the way to go, not digital. The Holgas are hard to pass up, even to grown up little kids like me! Maybe a BelAir folder from Holga, though at last look the 300-odd worldwide allocation was over-subscribed. Or there's a Fuji disposable camera if you reckon she's going to get into battle. My gran'pa gave me a Kodak Box Brownie, all shiny chrome and leatherette, for my 5th birthday. A few el cheapo Ilford-branded B&W prints remain of decapitated chooks strewn about the backyard: gran'ma was adapt at wielding the axe in readiness for the Sunday roast...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have a Olympus Stylus you can have. Let me know if you want it.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'd rather go about this as a learning experience for her. I've let her use the DSLR (with AMAZINGLY CLOSE supervision), but this will be her first real introduction to any film process. She was too young the last time I had the cameras out.
    Get real, she will learn nothing about using film at that age.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started checking the local thrift store earlier this year for the same reason, finding decent P&S with a fast prime to teach my kids photography. So far I've picked up:

Olympus XA 35mm f2.8 for $4.00 (I believe this is the worlds smallest "manual focus" rangefinder. This one I claimed as "my" pocket camera)
    Olympus Stylus Epic DLX 35mm f2.8 for $3.00
    Konica Big Mini BM-201 35mm f3.5 for $4.00 with leather case. My kids like this one it's easy to hold
    Plus two late model Pentax IQzooms, the last models made for $4.00 each

There are some great deals to be had if you check often. Also regarding 127 film, I believe Rollei still makes Retro 80 in 127 size. I last saw it on Freestyle photographic supply's website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by average-guy View Post
    I started checking the local thrift store earlier this year for the same reason, finding decent P&S with a fast prime to teach my kids photography. So far I've picked up:

Olympus XA 35mm f2.8 for $4.00 (I believe this is the worlds smallest "manual focus" rangefinder. This one I claimed as "my" pocket camera)
    Olympus Stylus Epic DLX 35mm f2.8 for $3.00
    Konica Big Mini BM-201 35mm f3.5 for $4.00 with leather case. My kids like this one it's easy to hold
    Plus two late model Pentax IQzooms, the last models made for $4.00 each

There are some great deals to be had if you check often. Also regarding 127 film, I believe Rollei still makes Retro 80 in 127 size. I last saw it on Freestyle photographic supply's website.
    I'll try a shop in Des Moines. I've been to Ames and here recently and I've found NOTHING like those. Most of the ones I find here are of the cheap, horrible variety. :/
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the high prices that some of these camera's fetch on Ebay, I wouldn't doubt that people aren't going around to thrift stores looking for them to resell. I don't live in a large city, so maybe there aren't as many people trolling the thrift stores here, or I'm just lucky.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin