Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,822   Online: 1087

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea its impossible to find any of the nicer small point and shoots in a major city. Most are picked up quickly, and stores such as good will seem to have them online now.

You can try ebay and look for one in a design she might like together. Maybe one with cartoons on it or in bright colors. Just to get her to really like to carry a camera around and snap images. Image quality on a basic point and shoot is decent, so I wouldn't worry about it until later as she gets better. You dont want too technical a camera that might frustrate and drive her away from photography all together, or one that is really bland, boring, and clunky that she might not like having around. Water resistant and with automatic flash is a definite plus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Yea its impossible to find any of the nicer small point and shoots in a major city. Most are picked up quickly, and stores such as good will seem to have them online now.

You can try ebay and look for one in a design she might like together. Maybe one with cartoons on it or in bright colors. Just to get her to really like to carry a camera around and snap images. Image quality on a basic point and shoot is decent, so I wouldn't worry about it until later as she gets better. You dont want too technical a camera that might frustrate and drive her away from photography all together, or one that is really bland, boring, and clunky that she might not like having around. Water resistant and with automatic flash is a definite plus.
    She took the ugly Bilora Bella to bed with her today. I think she just wants a camera. Heh.

I showed her the Konica and she kinda got this awesome look on her face and said, "YES I WANT THAT!" really loud. If no-one outbids me It'll be hers. One of the nice things about this camera: it's not a very sought-after one, but the image quality is pretty damn good according to those who *do* have one.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    She took the ugly Bilora Bella to bed with her today. I think she just wants a camera. Heh.
    It is clear that you are doing an excellent job raising your child.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It is clear that you are doing an excellent job raising your child.
    Yup. I started with a Kodak Instamatic and put many rolls through that until I was about 10 (4th grade, whatever age I was) and started using my dad's Pentax SLR on a family trip. The Instamatic was great for learning back then - you didn't have many choices, just whether or not to use the flash. Too bad the format is dead now. I've never used a P&S film camera so I can't help with your potential shopping list. Hope you get something that works well and that she has lots of fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephanie, I have a couple of 35mm point & shoots that are doing nothing in my closet. One is a Pentax WR90, weather-resistant, with flash, which was the second camera I bought (the first was in a bubble pack, and the third is my Pentax 6x7, which I just had overhaule.). The other camera is a tiny Yashica with a Zeiss zoom lens. The camera was used by a friend to photograph his journey on the Pacific Crest trail. It's fully functional and the lens is perfect, but of course the finish is worn.

Let me know if you want them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I started on an Argus C-3. It forced me to learn very quickly the basics of focus, aperture and shutter speed. By starting that way, I quickly gained a better appreciation for photography that has always stayed with me. I then followed the digital revolution for a while, but now I'm coming back more and more to film.

Had I started with a digital camera, I probably wouldn't have learned the discipline that I need to be a better photographer. At the cost of film, I learned that every shot I took cost money, so I was careful how I took pictures. Had I used a digital camera, I would have just learned to "spray and pray" and not care about composition or camera settings. Even now if I do shoot digital, I still use the same discipline that I learned when using a manual camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started my daughter out with a Polaroid when she was little. She is now 18 and owns an Olympus OM1 outfit. When she gets time, she says she wants to learn how to use one of my "big" cameras (large format).

Instant photo's are great for kids who lose interest fast. If my daughter was little today I would buy her a cheap digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I started on an Argus C-3.
    ... but at what age? I don't think that is likely within the capability of most 5 year olds (and I speak from more experience than just having been 5 at one point in my life).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's what we've decided:

If the Konica doesn't pan out for any reason, I'll look for something else. The Instax (with some film) will be a Christmas gift. We'll shoot Tri-X first in the Konica and I'll develop it and let her watch me do the contact sheet. She'll have fun, I'll have fun. Mother daughter time for the win!
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Let's say you want a camera for a five year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post

I showed her the Konica and she kinda got this awesome look on her face and said, "YES I WANT THAT!" really loud. If no-one outbids me It'll be hers. One of the nice things about this camera: it's not a very sought-after one, but the image quality is pretty damn good according to those who *do* have one.
    The bella doesn't look bad at all! You should take a look at the Konica airborg! I think whatever you decide on will be a good choice as you have researched quite a bit, and plus you have this forum! Your daughter is lucky to have such a caring and thoughtful mother!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin