Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,287   Online: 941

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    The bella doesn't look bad at all! You should take a look at the Konica airborg! I think whatever you decide on will be a good choice as you have researched quite a bit, and plus you have this forum! Your daughter is lucky to have such a caring and thoughtful mother!
    Even for a five year old, the Konica airborg will put her of shooting film for life.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Here's what we've decided:

We'll shoot Tri-X first in the Konica and I'll develop it and let her watch me do the contact sheet. She'll have fun, I'll have fun. Mother daughter time for the win!
    I wish you the best of luck, I'm starting the same adventure with my kids. After a recent career change allowed me to slow down and do something I've been wanting to do for several years, teach my kids (all girls, ages 4, 7, 9, & 11) how to shoot, develop, and print. By Winter's end, I think I'll have plenty of help in the darkroom and good times/memories.

Shooter
    35mm
    When my son was 10 (almost 11), his mom and I got him a Kodak digital P&S for Christmas. I saw right away he had an eye for photography. At age 12, he had earned some report card money, and I asked him if he would rather have the money to spend or if he wanted me to buy him a camera like mine with the money. He picked the camera and now has a Pentax ZX-30 SLR with a 70-210mm lens. He feeds it slide film. I bought my daughter the same model SLR for her 16th birthday with a Pentax 28-80mm lens. And because all the film cameras in the house are Pentaxes, we can swap lenses back and forth and I don't have to buy them duplicate lenses.

I wouldn't have given either of them their own SLR at age 5. They weren't ready for it. A rugged P&S is definitely the way to go at that age.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For what it's worth, in case anyone wants to see what the thing can do, this is the page of pictures shot with the camera on Lomography. I don't think she'll be disappointed, and neither will I. Heh.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I were you I would rule out instant film for cost reasons. A 5 years old is going to take many insignificant shots before she begins really thinking in terms of composition, or "moment" etc.

I think film is a good idea if you can develop the film yourself (keeping the cost low) and especially if you can involve your daughter in the developing process. That should be very interesting, not to say fascinating for a 5 years old child. And if you can print B&W it is going to be even better.

Maybe a few months with a digital camera would be better for the immediate feedback. That could help raising interest and "engagement". After which, the actual wait time and the surprise effect of film development could in turn help raising interest and engagement.

Any compact point and shoot would do the job. Just take the cheapest you find on a second-hand sale.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format

Let's say you want a camera for a five year old...

Stephanie, I will be interested to hear how this works out. My mom started me out in the late sixties on her ridiculous brownie six-20 when I was a bit older than your kid!

Looking back (and having just resurrected it, see below for a pic from my first roll in 40 years) part of me thinks 'was she crazy?' As a brownie with its viewfinders is a bit confusing for a kid to use. While this was a while ago, it was a crazy camera for a kid. We weren't poor so she could have got me an instamatic or some other easier to use camera (I am guessing she originally loaded the film for me). But I think she had her reasons. Much like your child, I learned on an anachronistic camera. I think my mom wanted me to learn the basics without stuff getting in the way. I always thought my dad was 'the photographer' in the family but now I understand how she got me going.

So if you are lucky your kid will be telling someone 40 years from now: "I can't believe my mom started me on that crazy Konica (which I have just started using again)" haha
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351350591.284811.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	58985

Shooter
    Multi Format

Let's say you want a camera for a five year old...

Having just written that nostalgic post, haha, I don't think it matters what tool you use. It is great that you are doing stuff like this with her and whatever the tool in the long run will foster her creativity. But don't get her a six-20, haha, getting her to re-roll 120 may be pushing it ;-)

More in the "haha" department: I just realized my avatar pic (a pic i use a lot for this sort of stuff) is one my brother took of me with the six-20! Clearly the few images I have fr it still are important

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a fair trade to me ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    My 4yo son loves shooting with the Nikon OneTouch Zoom 90. It's small enough for his hands and importantly, there is no shutter in the back that he can touch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I got the Konica, so I'm going with that. Comes with a strap and a case, everything was CLA'd, seals were replaced, and I got all this for the amazing price of $16.99. I'm going to enjoy watching my daughter take photos with it. She'll probably want to take it everywhere.

When it gets here we'll have the talk about it not being a toy and how we'll work to get some fun images. I guess I have to order some more 35mm film. Heh.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin