Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,133   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Advice please for purchase of Nikon body to pair with 50mm f1.2 Nikon lens

I need advice as to the LIGHTEST weight, SMALLEST size, most COMPACT Nikon camera body that will accept a Nikon 50mm f1.2 lens and meter down to EV1 with a 400 ISO film.
    I am down to the "Black cat in the coal bin" conditions. No tripod, No flash allowed. What Nikon body do you recommend please?
    Sam H.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    By light, are you referring to plastic or do you want the lightest metal body? I ask as the N80 was really light and basically small with features galore. Anyways, here's a link to a list that you can research. I'm sure you'll get many personal opinions too.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lrmain8090.htm

P.S. click on the different year links at the top.

You can also go here and read camera reviews.
    http://www.nikonlinks.com/#

You may want to pay particular attention to the better screens if your shooting in darkness.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 10-25-2012 at 10:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't say if it is AF or manual focussing. I would think with modern cameras, well as modern as you are likely to get for film use, the Nikon F80 would do if you are using auto-focusing. That is lightweight, compact and relatively small when compared against the F100/F90/F801/F601 and that the reason I use them when I am out on my motorcycle.

For manual focus, perhaps a FE2/FM2or an FA or but I cannot say if they will meter at the levels you are asking for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Oh yeah

Make sure that you lens will meter on the body you choose. Some of the later bodies, N series in particular, would not meter with older lenses because they didn't have electronic contacts. The N80/F80 is one example. The previous generation 8008 series would from what I remember. I'm not sure about the later N90 or F100 but I believe they did.

I wouldn't doubt that the FM3a would be a good fit.

If your 50/F1.2 is the AI version it was pretty good wide open, better stopped down slightly, but not so good beyond F8. Here's a good site for evaluations which speaks to it.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for as a light weight I use a FG and FM-10, the FM-10 was a gift about 14 years ago. Ive ran at least 150 rolls through it. The FG I have only run about 10 rolls. As far as your meter requirements the only low light I shoot I use a flash.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    LIGHTEST weight, SMALLEST size, most COMPACT
    Add to that the capability of interchangeable focusing screens 'cuz if you don't have a proper screen to focus in darkness you ain't got Sweeeet FA!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Make sure that you lens will meter on the body you choose. Some of the later bodies, N series in particular, would not meter with older lenses because they didn't have electronic contacts. The N80/F80 is one example. The previous generation 8008 series would from what I remember. I'm not sure about the later N90 or F100 but I believe they did.

I wouldn't doubt that the FM3a would be a good fit.

If your 50/F1.2 is the AI version it was pretty good wide open, better stopped down slightly, but not so good beyond F8. Here's a good site for evaluations which speaks to it.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1
    Yep it will meter - but with centre weighted only, but it will meter!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FA, FE2 would be my first guess. more modern, maybe the F100 but that could be to large for you. The F4 with the md-20 small battery pack would be the best if size and weight were not as big of an issue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 50/1.2 generally stays on my F3 HP. They seem well matched in terms of weight and handling.

If it's that dark you're better off with a rangefinder as it will be really hard to focus with an SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I vote for the Nikon FG or FM2 with split prism focusing screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin