Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,265   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Strange light leak with my OM10

Dear all,

Trust you are well.

I just finished to develop one roll exposed through my OM10. I just noticed that near the 2/3 of the film, i have a light leak which has burnt the film from the edge to the center.

How can it be possible ? If the back of my OM10 was not light proof, i am supposed to have the leak on the whole film, isn't it ? The burn is just on 3 to 4 cm large.

Do you have any though about this issue ?

Thanks in advance
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lightleaks can also occur on the front. Maybe if the curtain does not close correctly. I just has that happening in my OM-1, although in my case, when the curtain didn't close all the way, the mirror would get stuck too, and I couldn't advance the film.

Anyway, I sent it to be repaired and now it is fine. It costed me $90 to fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did the back of the camera get opened accidentally?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Strange light leak with my OM10

It could be the way you shoot as well. If you just use the camera at night often, you might not be affected by small light leaks such a door foam. But if you took it out one day in bright sun there would be a visible and recorded streak.

Check seals, and replace if necessary. Then shoot another roll in bright sun and see.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Dear all,

Trust you are well.

I just finished to develop one roll exposed through my OM10. I just noticed that near the 2/3 of the film, i have a light leak which has burnt the film from the edge to the center.

How can it be possible ? If the back of my OM10 was not light proof, i am supposed to have the leak on the whole film, isn't it ? The burn is just on 3 to 4 cm large.

Do you have any though about this issue ?

Thanks in advance
    light leak is where the back hinges. When the film is wind in it only expose a strip vertically. The film is wound on the roll and the side that face the camera won't get burnt. I have this on my Minolta XD-11 and only when it's very bright outside. I replaced the foam and it's ok.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Two comments:

1) it is most likely the foam seals around the film door have deteriorated. This is common and you can easily replace them yourself.

2) OM-10 had a problem with "sticky magnets". This is when a drop of oil gets on the magnet that controls the shutter and keeps it open too long. It could be causing your shutter to hang up. This can be repaired by a service shop or you can do it yourself - but it is not so easy as replacing the foam seals.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    The other possibility (which has happened to me two or three times now) - did you have trouble loading the film into the dev tank?

Sometimes it can get crinkled if it doesn't feed into the spiral properly, this will produce interesting marks on the film when you open the tank afterwards. My last roll of Ilford 3200 lost a couple of frames that way (I'll go back to using the Agfa Rondinax tank and keep the Paterson one for 120 film, the Rondinax is much easier to use for 35mm anyway).
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Another possibility is the never-ready case. Maybe you shot a part of the roll with the case, and the case shielded the camera from the external light. Then you took some pictures without case, maybe to put it on a tripod, and the light leak showed. That's what happened to me at least.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dear all,

thanks for your advices. indeed after inspecting a bit more the roll, i think i have a like leak from the back foam.

the first one that i have seen was on a bright sunny day.

i will test and try to change the foam to see.

thanks for all your advices
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    35mm
    You can buy replacement foam on ebay, it used to be possible to buy complete kits with pre-cut seals but the supplier seems to have given up selling that way.

The mirror bumper foam will probably need replacing too before it breaks up and smears over the focussing screen/mirror. The last batch of foam I bought for light seals works perfectly for that too.
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin