Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,956   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

suggested flash for my nikon FE2 or FA

I love shooting with my FE2 and FA, but am not as enamored of my SB-16 flash. Too big and very slow to recycle compared to modern flashes. I require my flash to have the tilt and swivel functions it has. Just wondering what more modern flash of comparable ability would work on my nikons. Would a speed light or any other modern flash?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, I believe Nikon's modern flashes, that they sell for their digital SLRs, are fully compatible with the TTL metering of older models. I use my SB-800 on my old F4 all the time in TTL auto mode.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    I use an SB-25 with my FE2. Full TTL compatibility - it's a really good bit of kit (aside from those vulnerable hot shoe foots), and a reason why Nikon strobes from that era are still popular for strobist work, even in 2012.

Shooter
    35mm
    Even the old and bold SB16 will give full compatibility with the FE2 and FA and they can be picked up very cheaply. I had an SB28 which worked on my F4 but didn't have the solid build quality of the SB16.

Of course the SB16 can be converted for use with full compatability on the F3 with the interchangeable shoe as well, which the other flashed can't

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Actually, I believe Nikon's modern flashes, that they sell for their digital SLRs, are fully compatible with the TTL metering of older models. I use my SB-800 on my old F4 all the time in TTL auto mode.
    Chris, your SB-800 works very well with film cameras but Nikon's newer flash models, SB-700 and SB-900 and SB-whatever are only compatible with Nikon's DSLR cameras. All flashes up until SB-800 are good for FE2 or FA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really liked my sb25’s, I only used it in manual mode. Mostly off camera but also used it on manual for on camera at a few weddings.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hesitate to recommend this, because the last thing I want to do is drive up eBay prices, but the best flash ever made was Sunpak's 383 Super. No, it's not dedicated nor TTL. It's got tilt, swivel, a good light output, 3 auto settings, a full manual setting, and adjustable power all the way down to 1/16th. You can find AC adapters or battery packs for extra recycling speed, and it has a plugin for a PC cord. It's got ONE flash contact so it can't (potentially) confuse camera electronics. That means you can use it on any camera. And to top it off, it's got a low trigger voltage so it won't harm electronics of today's DSLRs or MILCs.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Metz 45 series are pretty hard to beat if you can find them for sensible money. Bought a 45 CL-1 for £30 with working Nicad pack, charger, bracket and PC cord a while ago which comes out if I need a big gun. I should probably rebuild the battery pack with new cells but it holds a charge for weeks and doesn't seem to run out of juice that quickly.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

suggested flash for my nikon FE2 or FA

Sunpak 322
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I won't recommend the SB26
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin