Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,149   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon MD12 question

I'm looking at picking up a MD12 motor drive for my Nikon FE2 and FA. The seller says that he doesn't have a camera to mate it with but with batteries in and you turn it on it does nothing. Is that normal for an MD12? Will it only do something if it's attached to a camera body or should a properly functioning one actuate even without being attached to a body.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's correct. Unless it is attached to a body, there will be no indication of functionality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If your in the states i will sell you one that i know works. Pm if interested.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    if the batteries are in the MD-12, put the switch to "ON" and short-circuit the golden contact pins to the camera body by a coin. Then the motor will work and you can see if it is o.k.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    if the batteries are in the MD-12, put the switch to "ON" and short-circuit the golden contact pins to the camera body by a coin. Then the motor will work and you can see if it is o.k.
    This is a good trick to remember... because it is often needed to properly synchronize the MD with the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The motor drive adds a significant amount of weight (and noise) to the camera. I felt that it really eliminated one of the camera's advantages of being smaller and lighter in weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe so, but for me (at least) the convenience is well worth it.

Shooter
    35mm
    With its round grip, I think the MD-12 is one of the more comfortable motors. It's very easy on the hands, unlike the square grips of other motors. MD-12s are indeed very loud; they make a typewriter-like clacking noise.

As for the OP's question, my MD-12 does react when I press the trigger without the camera attached. Doing this makes the gears jam though--the motor won't react again until you reset the gears by twisting the coupling prongs by hand. The coin trick works too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon MD12 question

It does indeed add weight and noise but after many years of never using one I finally get one at a great price and attached it to my FM2. Kaachee-Kaachee-Kaachee-snap! Love it. Sounds so solid and professional. And feels so good in the hand.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I love using the MD-12 with my FM2n because of the extra grip... My MD can cause problems at the end of the roll, though. Sometimes, it is difficult to rewind the film because the MD won't properly release the tension.

The other issue I have with the MD is that it is difficult to operate the shutter speed dial while the manual film advance is in the off position (which is the only position in which the MD works).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin