Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,131   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Get rid of FA, get F3?

I'm wondering. I can get a pristine F3 body for a reasonable price, with a waist level finder to boot. Should I get that (and lose the "compact F" philosophy) and sell the FA with the shutter with a ringing sound to it?

I love the FA for its quirky place in Nikon model history, for its chunky feel, for it's grip, and hate the shutter sound, which no other Nikon I have has.

What do you all think?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like the 'get F3' bit but don't understand the concept of 'get rid of FA' !!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's the "ringing shutter" thing... It annoys me. Might be a phenomenon particular to my FA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTime View Post
    It's the "ringing shutter" thing... It annoys me. Might be a phenomenon particular to my FA.
    I had the FA for a couple of weeks before I sold it. Didn't like it at all and to me the FA isn't compared to the F3. However, it seems that you like it a lot and I would not get rid of it and get the F3 just because the ringing shutter sound. I never got bothered by a shutter sound. I never owned or used a Hasselblad 500 series and I heard they said the shutter sound like the toilet plunger but that shouldn't matter. I have used for a short time the Hasselblad 2000FC but I guess due to its focal plane shutter and instant return mirror didn't make that kind of sound.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yessir, ringing shutter, then dead shutter, in mid-roll, twice, two different bodies. No more love for FA here. Throw it out, get F2. (Yup, that's a two. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love my F3's and I'd certainly pickup a pristine one at a good price almost anytime.....I have 4. Just got an FA this afternoon and cannot wait to use it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I like the 'get F3' bit but don't understand the concept of 'get rid of FA' !!

Steve.
    +1. While not a hoarder by any stretch, I have never been able to force myself - with the exception of an F4s, that took two attempts to find a new owner - to "get rid" of any of my Nikons (presently 12 in number). Why not? 1). The F6 (a recent purchase) is likely Nikon's last "pro" 35mm; 2). Good or better condition used bodies are growing harder to find (listings on ebay seem to be either "mint" (with extortionate price tags to match) or "users," (many of which look suspect); 3). I have found - and it just may be a personal quirk here - that I have come to prefer certain bodies (hence I keep specific cameras for specific purposes) for certain films (i.e. F6 and F5 for shooting chromes, and F3 and F2s for b&w); and 4). In other areas of my life, I have found that soon after selling something - thinking it was no longer needed...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    +1. While not a hoarder by any stretch, I have never been able to force myself - with the exception of an F4s, that took two attempts to find a new owner - to "get rid" of any of my Nikons (presently 12 in number). Why not? 1). The F6 (a recent purchase) is likely Nikon's last "pro" 35mm; 2). Good or better condition used bodies are growing harder to find (listings on ebay seem to be either "mint" (with extortionate price tags to match) or "users," (many of which look suspect); 3). I have found - and it just may be a personal quirk here - that I have come to prefer certain bodies (hence I keep specific cameras for specific purposes) for certain films (i.e. F6 and F5 for shooting chromes, and F3 and F2s for b&w); and 4). In other areas of my life, I have found that soon after selling something - thinking it was no longer needed...
    So 12 bodies is not considered hoarding?

I can definitely use this post for my own purpose LOL .....eyeing more FE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTime View Post
    I'm wondering. I can get a pristine F3 body for a reasonable price, with a waist level finder to boot. Should I get that (and lose the "compact F" philosophy) and sell the FA with the shutter with a ringing sound to it?

I love the FA for its quirky place in Nikon model history, for its chunky feel, for it's grip, and hate the shutter sound, which no other Nikon I have has.

What do you all think?
    Get the F3 and keep the FA
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Get rid of FA, get F3?

I like my F3 but if I had tried an F2 first the F3 would have never made it into my collection. Another vote for getting an F2 if you do not like the FA.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin