Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,066   Online: 707

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus OM-2n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once got OM-1n + 50mm f/1.4 for 45 Euros but 60 euros is not a bad price. Get it, shoot with it and switch to pure mechanicals like OM-1(n) or OM-3(very pricy). I prefer hand-held meter with OM-1n + 35mm lens combo.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    As noted above, many OMs have foam on top of the prism that deteriorates with age and eats through the prism silvering. If this has happened, you'll notice dark "wisps" or threads as you look through the viewfinder.
    This was only a problem on the 1's, and it is easy to fix. Olympus realized there was no need to "seal" around the eyepiece and eliminated the foam. My OM-2n was the first of much (far too much) OM gear, bought slightly used in the mid '80's. It has never been serviced and works like a champ.

One day, God wanted a camera. So he made the OM's.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM-2n

So thuggins, are you saying hat certain members of the OM family came without foam in the prism area? I have a range of OMs and want to do preventative maintenance to avoid the dreaded rotting foam. If I was to know that certain models or serial numbers of models do not have this issue I would really appreciate it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmccrac View Post
    If I was to know that certain models or serial numbers of models do not have this issue I would really appreciate it
    There were some OM-1 cameras that did not have prism foam. I cannot remember what serial number ranges.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I currently have a OM-2 and I used to have a Canon F1N as my main camera.

The Canon is a great workhorse of a camera. Not overly large like a Nikon F, but solidly built and heavy to match. (the motor drive, on the other hand, is humungous)
    For some reason the sound of the shutter really makes a difference to me, and the F1N was music to my ears.
    Both systems have a wide variety of lenses, but the FD system seems to be more available at the moment.

One really nice feature of the OM2 is the big, easy to use exposure-compensation dial.
    The camera is small, as well as the whole system. I have a body and 3 lenses in a bag that only fit the Canon and one lens.
    The faster OM Zuiko lenses tend to be pricey, but the basic 3 lens kit (28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5) can still be had cheaply.

I have a 50mm f1.4, 24mm f2.8 (great lens!), 85mm f2 in my usual kit. I also have the 135mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 28mm f3.5.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmccrac View Post
    So thuggins, are you saying hat certain members of the OM family came without foam in the prism area? I have a range of OMs and want to do preventative maintenance to avoid the dreaded rotting foam. If I was to know that certain models or serial numbers of models do not have this issue I would really appreciate it
    AFIAK, only the 1's used the foam around the prism. I have never had occassion to take the top cover off of my 2n as it has never had a problem and the prism shows no degradation. John Hermanson at Camtech could provide specifics as to model/SN cutoffs. He used to post comments here. Let's hope he's just busy keeping all those wonderful Oly's running!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    AFIAK, only the 1's used the foam around the prism
    No, this isn't so. I had a prism changed on my 2n when it was CLAd and my beater OM2, which works perfectly was acquired with some foam degradation on the prism. As it's a bit rough anyway I haven't decided whether to have it sorted yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    No, this isn't so. I had a prism changed on my 2n when it was CLAd and my beater OM2, which works perfectly was acquired with some foam degradation on the prism. As it's a bit rough anyway I haven't decided whether to have it sorted yet.
    /agree
    i have a om2 (dont remember if its the 2 or 2n) and the prism was degraded due to the foam. Still usable, but noticeable black patches in the viewfinder.
    Good tip: the OM10 uses the same prism. I replaced the prism in my OM2.. -Doable, but not as easy as I would like. The OM's are seriously packed tight, and the foam was a pain to thoroughly remove.

Somewhere i read that serial numbers past a certain point do not have the foam.
    Darin
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin