Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,719   Online: 819

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon-centric Interneg Workflow

Hello,

I bought myself a Nikon PB-5/PS-4 combo for my birthday last week. I've been shooting slide film almost exclusively for the past five years or so, but I don't have a single print and I'm not currently interested in scanning/inkjet printing.

I've spent the last two nights photographing some of my slides using the aforementioned PB-5/PS-4 combo coupled with an F2S and a 50mm f/1.8D. The film I'm using for the internegs is Portra 160 and my light source is a 5500K CFL. Anyway, I did some tests using my D200 and it seems that my weak(est) link may be the 50mm f/1.8D. I haven't gotten my film back so I may be jumping the gun (especially considering the fact that the D200 is notoriously finicky when it comes to the lenses you put in front of it).

I do have an EL Nikkor 50mm f/2.8N and I wonder if anyone has used it for duping (or photography at 1:1). Thoughts on duping or the interneg process in general would be appreciated also. Thank you!

LJSLATER

EDIT: As an aside, this is the article that inspired me to try making my own internegs:
    http://web.mit.edu/cai/www/photo/film/interneg.html
    Mr. Cai seems to have dropped off the face of the earth around 2005, but I love his website and his photography.
    Last edited by LJSLATER; 11-06-2012 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would think any of the 55mm Micro's would work and as well as the EL I would think.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the PB4+Slide copier setup and have done some capture of slides to negatives. What information are you looking for exactly - how much resolution and color fidelity can you capture?

I also sent some slides to Fuji and they gave me internegs. This wasn't my intention but back then (1990's), in order to get 2" X 30" prints from slides, Fuji would first make an interneg then optically print from it. I'm not sure if they still do this.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can you do 4x5 internegs?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I have the PB4+Slide copier setup and have done some capture of slides to negatives. What information are you looking for exactly - how much resolution and color fidelity can you capture?

I also sent some slides to Fuji and they gave me internegs. This wasn't my intention but back then (1990's), in order to get 2" X 30" prints from slides, Fuji would first make an interneg then optically print from it. I'm not sure if they still do this.
    Which lens do like you use to photograph your slides?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Can you do 4x5 internegs?
    It didn't even occur to me, but I suppose I could; I think I remember PE mentioning that's how he makes internegs. I do have a color enlarger, but I guess I'd need a meter. Can you use a regular paper easel to hold the film?

My ultimate goal is to attempt making RA-4 prints at home; unfortunately, I don't see a 4x5 enlarger in my future.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin